Overheating issue

London Darling

Asked by London Jul 04, 2011 at 10:31 PM about the 1970 Volkswagen Beetle

My 70 beetle is overheating. I know that the oil is important in the older bugs, so I make sure the oil level is where it's supposed to be and I get regular oil changes. My oil light flashes when my car starts getting hot, and about 10 minutes after the light starts flashing, my car dies. I can start it back up after a while and drive it for 15-20 minutes before it does the same thing again. Is it my cooling fan going out or what else could be wrong?

get new coolant fluid, start the car and watch the engine, if the fan stops you know there is a problem with the fan. however you prob. just need new coolant

Pedro Batista

It make no sence to check the antifreeze fluid , Because this is an aircooled engine.First you shoul check your engine oil,2nd check the air deflectors between the piston skirt and the pushrod tubes.Those are for mmore eficency in the cooling system.3rd check the turbine to be free of obstructions.Last check that the generator belt have 1/2 inch of clearance that it should have.Good luck!!

Chris Billings

the oil light is turned on by the oil sending unit. this sending unit is usually set to turn the light on at around 7-10 psi. some replacement senders are a little higher, some lower. the oil light flickering at idle is NOT uncommon, and does NOT mean you have any problems. does the light go out when you slightly rev the motor? if so, you may NOT have a problem at all. here's a good place to start. go to the store and buy a meat thermometer. one of the ones with the long stick on it. now run the car until you think it's overheating. now turn off the motor, get out and go back to the motor, pull out the oil dipstick, and insert the thermometer. let it set there a minute or two, and see what the highest reading is. if your below 230 degrees your fine. between 230-240 your borderline, over 240 your hot. report back what you find. for reference, the cooling fan is inside the fan shroud and attached to the back of your generator/alternator. the gen/alt is turned by the belt running from the crank up to it. if the belt is very loose it can slip and cause the fan not to turn as it should.

hi under the crank case there will be two oil pressure release valves one at the front other at the back they should have flat head screw to them if these are not working it may cause this problem

If you really want to control over heating issues, get an oil cooler. I had one on my old bug and worked like a charm.