88 golf starts but only runs few seconds and stalls when weather is damp

bob912r
5

Asked by bob912r Sep 09, 2012 at 08:10 AM about the 1988 Volkswagen Golf

Darius Hermanski
855

Check you distributor cap and the condition of the contact points, you may also have a break in one of the spark plug leads.

cabinboy1881
40

My 87 gti does the same thing.Changed the coil,cap.wires,rotor and plugs.No problem for a year and today a very damp and rainy day it started great in the garage.Drove it around made a few stops with no problem.On the last stop,shut it off for 20 minutes,try to start it and it catches like it;s gonna start and dies out won't catch an idle. On the 6th try it starts.Wtf?