Any tips on rebuilding the power steering gearbox on an 85 Grand Wagoneer? Maybe a link to find the instructions.

dsummers
15

Asked by dsummers Apr 19, 2013 at 09:43 PM about the 1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

judge_roy

really?....I mean really, this is going to take a machine shop with hydraulic presses, not too many people have these clamps and presses available to them...best to pick up one from a salvager ~

judge_roy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjOYQcRx_hc

judge_roy

damn. that looks like fun....NOT~

14,195

Yeah I agree. I mean if your on here asking how to do it doesn't sound like a job you need to be undertaking.

dsummers
15

I guess my question was a bit vague. I have a very leaky gearbox. Mainly want to replace the seals. Found seal kits, just wondering how much work would be involved.

Kurt Burton
1,025

Don't even bother try to put seals in it. I have 9 grand Wagoneers and an automotive repair shop in IL. Most of the time when the seals leak is for 2 reasons, number 1, output shaft will be well worn, it will have a non-fixable groove worn into it by the rock hard seal and usually also rust groove so a new seal wont seal on the worn shaft. Number 2 reason the seal starts leaking is because the lower shaft get play in it allowing it to move around slightly also causing a leak. Plus there are 2 adjustments that will need to be made once taken apart, one easy, bolt on top, the second, basically impossible which has to be done with the box disassembled. By the time you buy a seal kit, pay labor for someone to press it apart and back together any pray it doesn't leak, a new gearbox with warranty cost under $150.

Best Answer
dsummers
15

Thanks Kurt! I was able to find a new gearbox for $108. Much easier!