My Jeep overheats

Jonathan Hall
5

Asked by Jonathan Oct 11, 2009 at 09:42 AM about the 1989 Jeep Cherokee

My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Loardo 4.0L overheats and i was wondering how to fix that.  
I was thinking that I could flush it out and then put in new antifreeze to fix it

Roy Taylor
15

I have many jeep cherokees flush may not do it. start cheap ,check fluid level if not leaking or low thermostat or cluch fan would be next if still running hot eletric fan should checked if bad replaced if none of above work then change radiator.last resort water pump

Rodney Snyder
25

fkush ur coolant firstand then refil it if it leaks thats your problem if not then it your thermostat thermostats are easy to replace and very cheap

Jeffrey Friedman
55

Hi folks, Before you spend any money on parts, If the fluid level is not low, the first thing to do is drain the system like for a flush but (I believe that is one of the years with the pressurized overflow bottle) remove the upper and if you can the lower radiator hoses and look inside for mineralization on the ends of the tubes going thru the radiator. At that age it is common for the tubes to be blocked and it does not take much to run your temp up because the radiator is so short. This used to be fixed by taking the radiator to a radiator shop and having them put it in a sonic bath for a small fee. I am in Virginia and can not find any shops with a sonic anymore. Also, if toy plan on keeping the jeep for more than 2-3 more years, try to go with a Valeo brand radiator. They are the OEM and are quite a bit mote expensive than the modine and so forth you get at the discount parts stores but will last many times longer. Some discount parts stores can order Valeo or if you have a friend at a dealership to get you a discount will help with the cost. If I were you and had to buy a new radiator, I would convert to the 91 and newer cooling system that eliminates the problematic pressurized bottle. I think the upper and lower hoses are the same but check to be sure. The overflow bottle and hose are readily available cheap at a junk yard. Also, I have a 90 cherokee radiator that is the same as the 89 (no radiator cap) i could sell you cheap if you are close enough to Virginia to keep the shipping from getting too high. I think it is in good shape but if you are interested, I can go pull it and check for sure. I hope this helps Jeffrey

Jeffrey Friedman
55

Also, something I forgot to mention that a friend of mine reminded me of on my wall: Gary Jones--does it still put out heat through the heater? If it doesn't it could be the water pump. It doesn't have to leak to go bad. The fins wear out off of the impeller. Mine looked like the top of a tin can.

joejoes
125

replace everything thats what i had to do

thejeepdoctor
2,085

when you refill the cooing system through the plastic tank, pull the upper rad. hose off the t-stat. housing. this will allow air to escape as you refill it. the factory t-stat has a airbleeder in it that should be towards the top. So as your filling it up, watch for the coolant to start filling up the t-stat housing then put the hose back on. You should be ready to go then. Hope this helps....