why does it start then die

Jeeper186
10

Asked by Jeeper186 Dec 27, 2006 at 09:54 PM about the 1988 Jeep Cherokee

I have determined that the wire that plugs into the starter relay, its next to the battery with a letter "F" that is orange with a black stripe has power when you place the ignition switch in the start, and in the run position. For some reason mine will sometimes have no power on it, and the jeep will not stay running, it just starts and dies. I have placed a jumper onto it from the battery and it will startup and run fine, other than the fuel pump continues to run all the time and so forth. Sometimes the plug will have power on it, and the Jeep will run the way it is supposed to. But shut the Jeep off, try and restart it and it may not have power to stay running. this has gone from a few days in between to almost everytime I try to start it. My email is jeeper186@comcast.net Please someone help out if you can. I am in a web of orange wires with a black stripe.

13,115

Hello It is very difficult to say what is causing the cut-out on older cars. It can be any number of loose wires in the engine and surrounding. My recommendation is to bring it in. Trying to diagnose a stalling problem on one's own can cause the final repair to be even more expensive, as you will end up spending time and money tinkering with areas that may not be the root cause. Best of luck with this. I just had a similar problem with a Volvo, and finally brought it to a dealership mechanic (which I *hate* to do). However, it doesn't stall anymore... CarGrrl

1977seahawksfan17
10

thank you 4 the advice