87 Cherokee rear shocks

Asked by dragsterguy Jun 09, 2010 at 07:53 PM about the 1987 Jeep Cherokee

87 Cherokee.  Trying to replace rear shocks which were gone.  The bolts were sprayed with PB for 3 days and then when I tried to remove, they still broke off

1.  Is the nut on the other side a welded nut (welded to sheet metal)?  I think it must be since I broke the bolts not holding nuts

2.  Any ideas on removing?  Even my right angle drill barely fits.  And I am not torching it out since it is right near fuel tank

3.  Anybody have the name of the engineer who thought it would be a great idea to setup the rear shocks this way?  Being a design engineer for almost 20 years, I would like to have a 'chat' with him regarding serviceability of design.  AZZ CLOWN

I just did rear shocks on my 85 cherokee last night. 2 bolts at the top, a nut and washer at the bottom, right? The bolts at the top simply go into mounted nuts....you may have to tear into your cargo area and remove the carpeting and such to get to those broken bolts.... I accomplished my shock change with an impact gun for the nuts and an air ratchet and a standard 3/8 hand ratchet with a hinged head...... it`s not the worst design I`ve ever seen.... if you wanna blame someone, blame the people who salt and sand your roads for using a high salt mix....or blame whoever owned your vehicle before you for not powerwashing the undercarriage each spring and allowing stuff to rust up....