evaporative emission system(Incorrect Purge Flow(PO441)) What is this?

ch2009tim
0

Asked by ch2009tim Apr 23, 2009 at 07:57 PM about the 2007 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

Dan Connell
4,375

i dont know if youve fixed the problem or not yet but heres what it is, your entire emissions system is put under a vacume by the purge cylinder it kinda looks like a coffee can with a domed top and two lines running out of it, i got the same kind of code with my 96 ram it turned out all i had to do was replace the gas cap, but an incorrect purge flow sounds like you could have a clog

Chase Sutherland
3,325

im not exactly sure but is this the same system that reuses the unused gas from the first time?

Dan Connell
4,375

yea also it monitors gas evaporating from the system ie loose gas cap allowing gas fumes to get out of the tank, open your gas fill door and if you smell fumes id replace the cap you can get it at any auto parts store for like 5 bucks

Chase Sutherland
3,325

i thought thats what it was. could potentially just be bad gas. my dad put 87 octane in my 300C when he drove it one day and i think i had the exact same code come up. i put 89 octane back in and it has never came back on.

Dan Connell
4,375

i have to run my truck on midrange or else my idle gets thrown off lol, but yea id try the gas cap its real cheap, if it keeps happening research the code on google type in the code ram 1500 and then the engine size and see what kind of things you can come up with

Tom Mielcarek
65

clogged catalitic converter

Dan Connell
4,375

well very very very highly unlikely but it could happen, my truck has 306,000 miles on its cat and its not clogged lol, but it can happen if your truck runs rich or if you burn oil

Dan Connell
4,375

a clogged CAT would not cause that code, that code has to do with the EVAP emissions system it keeps gas vapors from venting into the atmosphere, its pretty much a vacuum, a clogged CAT would cause the engine to run very very rough possibly not at all.

Planome
20

Yea it's not the Cat. My 97 Ram 1500 has had 3 new Cat's since I've owned it from new. The truck spits and misses really bad and sometimes won't run at all. Don't let a Dodge dealer put them in, 900 bucks a shot. Now Dodge (after my warranty expires) sends me a letter they realize their bad now. Hehehe, Corporate. Anyway, I have the same error and will take your advice first on the gas cap. Inspection is due, and no one will sticker it until I find the problem. Check back for details when I figure this out.

Planome
20

Welpa I changed the gas cap and pulled the positive cable from the battery for 20 minutes to wipe out the check engine light. I'll let you know if it fixed it in 100 miles.

Dan Connell
4,375

before i removed the 360 from my ram i had the same sputtering and missing issue, for you id try using a different octane of gas to correct it, your engine i timed for a specific octane cars and trucks from the 90s are usually timed to run for mid range gas (or atleast mine was), if your using 83 try 89 instead. really it could be any thing, try taking the air filter off and spraying some throttle body cleaner into the throttle body

DELVINA
70

I have a 2006 Ram 1500 with an engine size 4.7. I have no one to help me witth little money to fix it so I really need some help. I checked my gas cap and it looks fine. I like to check certain things I was told to check but I have no clue where to begin. I don't even know which hoses or fuel lines to check. It would help if I have a diagram of my engine with indication of which areas I need to focus on. When the engine light first came on, I check the gas cap. A week later I put some more gas in, the engine lght went off. Two days later it came back on. This is when friend of my son, did the code test and it gave us this code PO411 - EVAP EMMIS, CONTR SYSTEM PURGE FLOW FAULT. Thank you! My name is DEL

jcagle
30

Hey, everyone it is a simple cure, replace your air filter and your gas cap and your fuel filter and if that doesn't fix it then replace your evap canister with new vacuum lines then if that doesn't work take your car to the dealership or any good mechanic to drain your fuel tank,flush then reinstall wth all new fuel pump and fuel lines. THATS ALL FOLKS.

jcagle
30

Also don't use REGULAR Gas it sucks the life from your eng. performance, and regularly put gas treatment in gas tank: ex: every other fillup.