i need to replace my fuel pump and filter

arcania
165

Asked by arcania Sep 01, 2007 at 03:55 AM about the 1989 Dodge Ram Van

My van just shut down while i was on the road a few months ago. I called my uncle who is a mechanic and he had me pour gasoline into the big round thing (i forgot what it was called) when you remove the center console from the inside he said to open it up and pour gasoline in it. He said if it started and died right away, then i had a fuel pump and filter problem. I did, and it was just like he said, so i got it towed to a shop and had them double check. They said yes, the pump and filter need to be replaced. Its been months but i finally got the parts. My mechanic flaked on me and my uncle would not be able to help for almost a month, but i need my van to get to work in a few days. i want to fix it myself tomorrow if i can... but the manual i have to my van is useless as far as replacing those parts. Can you give me a list of detailed instructions on how i can replace the pump and filter please?

strawberry
135

pull the rear seat out and lift the carpet to see if there is access to the the fuel pump. If not disconect battery, drop fuel tank should be four star bolts use floor jack to drop tank just like you would the transmission. drop about three inches disconect wireing harness from tank when taking the fuel pump ring off USE BRASS SO IT WILL NOT CAUSE A SPARK PLEASE DONT SMOKE while doing this. make sure to use new screen provided with new pump. replace same way it came. Yes it is that simple. Will take about two hours.

arcania
165

i had a mechanic come and he replaced the pump for me. new problem is this. we got her going for about 3 blocks, then she died. we dont kow what's wrong now. he says she isn't getting gas to her engine. any ideas what this could be?