Transmission

slufoot69
0

Asked by slufoot69 Apr 19, 2009 at 02:13 PM about the 1989 Dodge Dynasty

I have a 89 dodge dynasty 3L v6 with auto transmission, 4spd.  Car having problems with transmission slipping occasionally.  Would the automatic transmission relay have anything to do with this?  If so where is it located.  Is the automatic axle relay the same thing as transmission relay?  Tranny flush and filter changed in the last 6 months.  Added Lucas transmission fluid.  But it didn't help the problem.

A Facebook user
195

You might have bad shift solenoids or worst case, damaged gears. Find a good manual, Haynes or something to locate the solenoids.

Danny Wang
2,665

From what I know, those 4 speed Ultradrive 4 speed automatic transaxles has a reputation for flaws. I heard from an transmission instructor when he used to work for a Chrysler dealership was that when those vehicles shipped to dealerships from factories, there are also trucks that ships items for fixes to the transmission. My guess, but not sure would be bad solenoid and/or burnt clutch packs. My experience with those transmission is below: My parents used to have a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim LE with 3.0L V6 and only came with the similar transmission in your Dynasty. after one year of many highway driving and being out of powertrain warranty, the problem was a solenoid pack (located on the outside of the transmission towards the radiator), don't know if that is the case for you. The car had the same problem at around 135,000 miles and six years later, replaced with used transaxle. Then at about 197,000 miles when the transmission slipped and locked into 2nd gear, I did the flush like you did and did not help. Then a transmission tech at AAMCO said that something burnt and may have to take the transmission apart. My parent decided not to have the tranny fixed, because the car also neede Air Conditioning repair.

Ryan Jones
5

Danny is right on....soon after the nasty came out they were frequently having isues with the trans missions.

JLemons
55

Replace the 3 vehicle speed sensors on the vehicle. A lot of times when they start going bad, they will cause the transmission to slip and not the shift properly. All together it will cost under a $100.00 to purchase the sensors and if you know how to replace then you don't have to pay for it. The transmission is electronical and this is the best place to start.

Bobby Zickefoose
75

The guy above is right you might need to rebild or replace the trans becouse of worn cluch packs another thing that causes the problem is not replaceing the tranny filter every so often it wild cause low hydralic pressure causing transmission slippage wearing the cluch packs out faster than normal if you need a tranny go to Andy's autoparts.com they have great rebilt tansmissins complete with everything you need including tranny fluid for about the same price ad having it rebilt and complete motors for all dodge and chrysler vehicles. I hope this helps you out.