Dart values

griffida
0

Asked by griffida Jun 11, 2011 at 04:51 PM about the 1970 Dodge Dart

I have a four door dart that is either a 70 or a 72 - I'm not sure which because my owner's manual says one thing and the title says something else - I will do the research and find out what I need to know about the car, but I would like to sell this car, and I'm wondering where is the best place to find out what the value might be.  I don't know a lot about the car, although I've owned it for a few years, it was a car my daughter owned, and I acquired it as a payment of a loan, so I never felt a need to learn much about it.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Ann

Jay Cannaday
115

The VIN is on the dash and on the inside of the driver's door somewhere. It'll start off L(x)41(x); the next character will be the model year. For example, LL41(x)2 would be a 1972, and so on. LH41(x- this positition is for the engine; most 225 slant sixes had a C here)3... would indicate a 1973, and such.

griffida
0

I'll check today and add it to my post. Thanks for the information!

Jay Cannaday
115

If you get me the entire vin (you can leave off the last six numbers if you'd like- that's the sequential production numer (i.e. 234567 meant it wsa the 234,567th vehicle produced at that plant that year) I can try to decipher the whole thing for you.

griffida
0

Thanks! LH41COR I hope I read it right - it's a pretty old windshield- Ann

Jay Cannaday
115

The title should read the same as what you're seeing through the windshield- it's not beyond the pale for DMV to make a mistake, as they ARE government... it happens a lot. From the vin you gave, it's a 1970 model year.

griffida
0

Thank you Jay. I'm in the Pacific Northwest - do you have any suggestions as to where I can look to figure out the value?

Jay Cannaday
115

As far as determining the value, it's only worth what someone will pay; check eBay and see what similar Darts- and Plymouth Valiants (basically the same car) are selling for and have sold for (the completed auctions option eBay gives you). Frankly a 4 door 1970 slant six Dart isn't going to be worth an awful lot- it's all going to depend on its condition; don't see one of the "hot rod" 2 door Darts, or even a fairly plain 2 door Dart that sold for big (relatively) bucks and think your grandma car is going to be similar in value- it won't be. A VERY nice one (and it's hard to say without seeing yours) might sell in the $4,000 range. A beat up, rusty, tired one might sell for $1,000.

Jay Cannaday
115

Also, www.kbb.com and www.nadaguide.com can be helpful; both are used car value guides and they have sections devoted to old and collectible cars. :)

griffida
0

Thanks again Jay! I'll check out those sources, especially e-bay which I'm familiar with. I troll their Motorcycle listing frequently- I really appreciate the time you''ve taken to help!