What is the largest engine I can install in my 1964 Dodge Dart?

Joshua Orr

Asked by Joshua Jan 01, 2013 at 08:46 PM about the 1964 Dodge Dart

I need to put a new engine in my 1964 Dodge Dart and I was wanting to make it a "sleeper" of sorts. I was wondering what the largest engine I could possibly install in it is? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the input.

Josh Elliston

Throw in a 454 LSX motor. Its very powerful, reliable and very light.

According to my copy of "Encyclopedia of American Cars 1940 to 1970") the largest V8 installed, from the factory, in a 1964 Dodge Dart was a V8 273.5 with 180 horsepower. HTH. -Jim

Markand Norma Konecsni

A 360 is the same physical size as a 273. You could increase the 360 to over 400 if you go with a stroke assembly.

what skill level do you have?if you are a novice ,stick to the small blocks , if you are skilled in fabrication,by all means a hemi is the way to go,will give you all the power needed and resale on this if done correctly will bring the money! all the money...........................

Joshua Orr

AAACAR~ I am an intermediate mechanic but my friend is a mechanic for Dodge and he will be helping me install it. I had found a Big Block Mopar 440 V8 crate engine for $3000. Here are the specs for it: Block: 1975 HP Block, Magnaflux Tested, Power Honed with Plates, Standard Bore, Deck Checked for Straightness, New Cam Bearings and Steel Freeze Plugs Installed. New Melling Oil Pump. Rotating Assembly: Stock Mopar Crank, Rods, & Pistons. New Clevite 77 Main & Rod Bearings, New Sealed Power Rings. Zero Balanced with Professional Products 80013 Harmonic Balancer. Top End: 4006452 Cylinder Heads, 2.08" Intake, 1.74" Exhaust Valves, Swirl Polished, Multi-Angle Valve Job. Heads have been CC'd and chambers equalized. Valvetrain: Comp Cams K21-225-4 Kit with CRB XE284H-10 Camshaft (.507/.510 Lift, .284/.296 Advertised Duration for an aggressive muscle car rumble with enough vacuum for power brakes), Valve Springs, Lifters, Keepers, Retainers, Valve Seals, & Double-Roller Timing Chain. Camshaft degreed to manufacturer's spec. Fel-Pro Gaskets. Mopar Performance Intake & Valve Covers. 8-Quart Deep Sump Oil Pan. I can get it for a real nice deal and thought it would be a nice replacement for the current engine. Any thoughts?

Markand Norma Konecsni

It's a good deal, but check out the cost of headers, motor mounts(possibly a new k-member, will need a transmission, transmission mount) etc. Depends on your budget, if you've got the money, almost anything is possible.

resouces are the game , it's an investment and does not take money needed for everyday expence, and done the RITE WAY it can make a profit,this you and the family must discuss..................

Steven Perez

What was wrong with the original motor.