we should drive the car on E mode or S mode???which one provides better performance??

abbasraza9444
0

Asked by abbasraza9444 Mar 27, 2013 at 01:22 PM about the 1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

there is a button near automatic shifter which represents E and S..what does they mean and which one is recommendable to be used in place with hot weather??does it effect gearbox??

DavidH25

I found W and S mode selector for the Mercedes, winter and summer, winter having something to do with traction/stability control, could find no reference to E mode

DavidH25

When you are in 'S' mode, the transmission starts out in 1st gear normally, but when you select 'W' mode, the transmission will start out in 2nd gear, to help reduce wheel slip on slippery surfaces. Where I found this says 'S' means standard, not summer, but still no mention of 'E"

DavidH25

Yet another source: W = winter and S = standard. Leaving the transmission selector in W starts the transmission off in 2nd gear and upshifts both sooner and takes a little bit longer between shifts to step up to the next gear. This is to help increase traction on slippery surfaces. Nowhere, again, a mention of 'E'

DavidH25

Ok one more thing if you want to read up on this, here is a good place Mercedes Benz World:http://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/144018-winter-summer-transmission.html

59,075

I would guess without any knowledge what they really mean, that the "S" is for Sport and the "E" is for economy. Sport could give you higher RPM's between shifts. - - Find a deserted stretch of highway and measure time and distance to 60 mph in each mode. Keep an eye on the tach to see if it shifts higher.

59,075

I spent the last half hour looking at various sites and found something about a Sport mode in the agility control package and the dynamic handling package but no explanation for the E mode.

gthsr911_
65

I'm no wiz, but I was told the S & C on mine stands for, Sport(shifting like a four/five speed manually-straight stick) and the C is for a long trip/highway driving-Comfort. I haven't seen any Es. But, Economy makes sense by tenspeed. In my car, I shift manually in the S-mode but you have to get the RPMs right to make it more like a manual shifting trans. (off the record, the S could stand for Serious, driving, :). and the E could be for, Encounter, you know, where the guy pulls up beside you and wants to have a run against the ole MB, in their Trans AM, lol) Oh, I have the c240 with the S & C beside the shifter.

DavidH25

See gthsr911 ..that make 3 of us that can't find anything about 'E' would be nice if abba came back and clarify