why does my volvo smell like gas when istart it up and run the fan?

Sandy Rabolli
0

Asked by Sandy Apr 20, 2013 at 06:16 PM about the 1997 Volvo 960

it smells the first start after it sits overnight real bad later on when I start it there is no smell?

68,535

Check the fuel lines under the hood. Look for stains where the steel and rubber lines join. Sometimes the fuel pressure regulator fails and will leak so check that too. If you don't see anything, turn the key to "On" to run the pump - don't start the engine. Go back to see if any there any strong smells or fresh stains.

scotjack
10

Almost certainly the fuel rail for the injection system. Look for a leak, when the engine is running, at the front end - that's where mine was. I have read in other forums that this cannot be repaired by JB Weld, but that is how I repaired mine almost 6 months ago and it is still good. My leak was so bad it was making me ill. I now get an extra 5 miles per gallon. Good luck!