My 2001 volvo s80 has high rpms

volvolife3
0

Asked by volvolife3 Jan 31, 2013 at 03:40 PM about the 2001 Volvo S80

I own a 2001 s80 Volvo. Recently I changed my oil and got a new battery for it. A few nights a go my wheel looked and I tried everything to unlock it, eventually someone helped and started my car for a week now my car has been running between 2-3 rpms sometimes even 4. I don't know why or how to fix whatever it is that's causing this. Please help!

45,595

If you have a vacuum leak, the engine will run fast. Check the black hose from the brake booster on the firewall to the engine. It could also be a throttle cable hanging up or a throttle position sensor.

judge_roy

How's the function of takin' the key out and puttin' it back in going? Was the steering wheel preventing the key from turning?...I'm guessing you jolly rogered the key not correct anymore, Don't you have two keys? Isn't it an electronic key? the full ignition and components are not on fully. Inspect this key to make sure it's all there.

volvolife3
0

I'll check my houses and cables, the key didn't want to turn the day my wheel locked...I have three keys and they all fit my car

judge_roy

Standard configuration. yay. I'd have to look at your electrical diagram to see if your keyswitch is enabling all circuits. The 'brain' seems to be operating on default setting,

7jimmy7
9,345

engine temp sensor, may be 2 sensors & one,,disconnected ,bumped loose, when working around it call parts and see if more than one is on that model as i dont have alldata to tell me anything ,no ck. engine lite on ?

judge_roy

...is running with half the circuits enabled, somehow...

judge_roy

really need to get in there, electrical diagram in hand and tester to see what's working normally, and what the faulty ignition switch (apparently) has not enabled~