Timing Belt or New Car? That is the Question.

JoJo2008
15

Asked by JoJo2008 Feb 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM about the 2001 Volvo S40

I have a 2001 s40 with 71,000. It will cost $2800 to repair. I'd prefer to fix it, but not
if it's going to open a whole new can of worms. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

venom5150
155

I have a 2000 S40. I was told by the dealer that 105k was the time to change the belt. Although time may be a factor for you since I chanced mine a couple years ago. I went through the same thoughts as you. But new car or repair? I ended repairing it and glad I did. I figured my car was paid off and these repairs will be needed due to the age. My car still runs and looks great. In the end, its your call.

JoJo2008
15

Thanks for the feedback. Just curious, did you change the belt before it actually broke, or did it break, like mine? My concern is that there was valve damage, which means engine damage. If that didn't happen, I would be a lot more comfortable dropping the money. Thanks!

venom5150
155

I apologize. I thought they were asking you to replace it likely due to age not mileage. I didnt catch the part that the belt is broken. I changed mine at 102,000 +/- as its typically due at 105k. Since yours actually broke and we know potentially how much other damage that may lead to, I would problably want to know if there is any other damage. If not, seems reasonable to proceed with fixing it.

JoJo2008
15

Thanks! That's good advice.

kevleung
35

I have a 2000 volvo s40 with 128K mileage. The dealer asks me to change the timing belt also and it cost 700 bucks. Do you guys think it worth to change it if the car is only for daily use for school? I am not going to drive it to any places two hours away. Need advice, thank you in advance

TheEconomist
25

Change the belt if you trust your mechanic.... I am lucky though because I know a trustworthy place that is in Lancaster, Pa, and they did mine for $500, plus replaced my air bag module under the center console, because I had an SRS light on. I am selling it now because I have enough vehicles. I'll leave you with this however, I think everyone should have a Volvo as one of their vehicles if possible because I had a 1995 that saved my life. Sure they have problems, but with a little research you can help a trustworthy mechanic Diagnose the problem quicker without paying Dealership mechanics plus every year and every model has their issues like any other Make or Model so do your homework and invest in preventative maintenance since you already have been putting money into it.