So I have a different question for my 93 cabriolet vw there is milky white stuff under the oil cap but not really on the dip stick there is just like a streek of white on the dipstick an when I drive for about 40min my oil light starts blinking an when I check my oil it looks watery....please someone give me some ideas what this could mean...I was thinking blown head gasket but I don't know...please HELP

Lanay Manley
115

Asked by Lanay Feb 25, 2013 at 03:49 PM about the 1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet

Im not sure if its a base or classic.

7jimmy7
12,005

sounds like no problem maby! milky white is condinsation, running too cold, not much heat at heater i bet needs thermostat, to burn off moisture, oil light ,change to high mile oil like 10/30 or higher to cure oil light flicker ,at idle i hope and not at speed

103,535

Right, it might be just the oil seperating/condensation from too many short trips that is on your oil cap. You did say you drove 40mins. but if it was a headgasket you would have a chocolate milkshake. Does your car run properly otherwise? Since your oil light is coming on your low on oil, so I would do an oil change and see if your symptoms go away.

Scott Sr.
2,805

The MK2 oil pressure monitor system is notorious for sending false warnings. My 85 Jetta would buzz repeatedly at low RPMs even though I had fresh oil and my guage read good pressure. I believe VW issued a TSB to change a resistor in the instrument cluster to recalibrate the warning buzzer detection.

Ronald Dopwell
255

last time my oil was Milky white, the Head had corroded away, letting Coolant & Oil mix. car ran strong, but recognised the problem & pulled the Head. recommend you do the Same.

Lanay Manley
115

Thanks for the feed back, so about my heater that works good but my air conditioner does not work I don't know if that has anything to do with it an I also just did change to 10/30 oil. The milky white stuff is pretty thick so someone told me to put sea foam in where I put my oil so I did that an now im just going to see what happens. If anyone has any other thoughts about what it could be please let me know. An my car runs pretty good im just concerned about the white stuff.

Scott Sr.
2,805

Sea Foam acts as a detergent...it will also dilute your oil...I would only use it right before an oil change...and don't drive anywhere while it's in your oil. Be careful...you don't want to be buying an engine.

Ronald Dopwell
255

don't take too many short cuts. get a Compression check. get a mechanic to remove the cylinder head to look for damage. Milky Oil means coolant & oil are Mixing