Why doesn't key unlock or lock door?

Lynzonee
0

Asked by Lynzonee Jan 26, 2013 at 05:26 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Jetta

I have a 1999 VW Jetta, the alarm fob does not work, so I manually open the driver's side door, since that is the only door with a keyhole. Today, I went to unlock the door, the key turns freely, but door does not lock or unlock. There isn't any resistance when I turn the key. Do I need to replace cylinder or complete lock. Also, my trunk will not unlock, I took it to my mechanic a few weeks ago and he fixed it, but now it no longer unlocks; the trunk lock has a lever in the car and that doesn't work either. When I turn the key in the trunk, I hear the mechanism but nothing happens. Any suggestions?

hummerh1alphame
200

1st, sue. also, locksmith to jimmy door open. remove door panel, reattach linkage

Robert Mitchell
695

other than suing... i'd just take it back to the mechanic and ask them to fix it properly, if they decline tell them you will bring it up with AAA if he doesn't.

2013GLIGIRL
0

My 2013 GLI did that and they could not give me a reason why they just fixed it at the dealership. But now I am having more trouble with the lock 4 months later....