where is the block heater cord located

dana
10

Asked by Nov 28, 2006 at 06:39 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Golf

where is the block heater cord located on our 2 door golf so we can plug it in on cold days?

26,345

Hi Dana, Not all cars come equipped with a standard engine block heater. You can have it installed and there are many options on what kind of heater you can buy. There is a heater that replaces the dipstick and keeps your cars oil warm. There is the kind that heats the coolant in the radiator, and then there is the block heater. If your car does have an block heater look towards the front of the engine to see if there is an electrical chord sticking out or wrapped up anywhere. If you don't, go to your local dealer or mechanic and they can install the heater for you. Good luck!

Anonymous
0

Hi Dana, You will not like my answer to your question, VW really messed up on this one, you have no block heater, what you have is an oil pan heater that barely warms up your poor oil and it better be synthetic 5w40 501-503 spec.on top of that, we have a 2001 Passat 1.8 t and it barely wants to start at -30c in Wpg, Man, the dealer mentioned that they do not have a block heater available for these engines and they cringe at the thought of very cold weather because of all the no stats, inline coolant hose heaters will not work either as they are impeded by the thermostat placement at the cyl. head, so good luck in very cold weather, syntek makes 0w30 , 503 spec oil , use it for the winter, that is what we do or the car does not start at -38c, good luck

dana
10

Thanks very much for the helpful answer

moi
20

Hello I have a jetta 2000 tdi and I have an in line block heater installed by vloks. Funny though. My wifes Jetta is a 2003 tdi and volks says it does have have a block heater available. I know it came from them. I will have to find out who make the one on my 2000 jetta but of course it is buried and hard to reach and look at. I saw on the net that www.tdiheater.com makes one but it is bigger than what I have. Yes it is cold here and I do not want to play outside looking for Model # of a block heater. Moi

moi
20

Hello again. Surfing the net came up with a Calex ab in line heater from sweden. Volkswagen approuved in 2004 but they found out that if you leave it on for more then 3hrs it might burn itself out or catch fire. Scary right! well I have one and and now another for the 2003tdi. They are very compact so they do not have a circulating pump but they fit perfectly. Trick is to plug it in when you get up in the morning and by the time I am ready the car is good to go( 1hrs). Here right now today (15/01/09) was -25c. so if you are lucky yuo can still find one ($214 cnd).

pjnorick
10

I have found an excellent solution to VW's mistake, www.frostheater.com Its and incredible solution, well engineered and made in USA. Also Amsoil European car formula is the best synthetic oil on the market for these cars.

Archiebonker
40

I'm trying to find the Oil Pan Heater cord in my 2000 VW Jetta. Anyone know where I should start looking when crawling under? I"m in Calgary and org from Wpg. So Know cold. My wife drives it and I"m trying to get her to keep driving it for another year at least. Want her to be comfortable and I need to keep it starting in the winter when I'm not home. Any other suggestions?