2001 Saturn SL1 Starting Problem

chuckieg
85

Asked by chuckieg May 03, 2010 at 08:07 AM about the 2001 Saturn L-Series

I have a 2001 Saturn SL1 that won't start or even turn over, my wife drove it around all day, came home and parked it. She went to go out a couple of hours later and the car wouldn't start, wouldn't even turn over. I was thinking it was the Starter Relay, but wasn't sure, is there a way to check it without taking it to a shop? Does anyone have any ideas of what's wrong?
Thanks

Danny Wang
2,065

I would check to see if the neutral/safety switch is working properly (if it is an automatic transmission), if it is a manual transmission, it would probably have a switch on the clutch pedal that would enable the engine to even crank.

chuckieg
85

Where would I find the Neutral/safety switch and how would I test it to make sure it's working properly? If that's not the problem, could it be the Starter Relay Switch and where is it's location? Thank you

Danny Wang
2,065

a wiring diagram which sometimes also specifies switch location is the best resource, unfortunately I do not have access to that information. One place that is worth trying is the local libraries they may have shop manuals on the shelf either that you can check out or on the reference section. In that test, either a test light or ohmmeter is used to tell if a switch is good or an open circuit.

Justin Hamilton
45

Does it have power? if it lights up the dash or dings the door buzzer then its gettin power still but the starter isnt engaging, If you have someone stand outside as you turn the switch, if it jitters and lights flicker could be a battery that has low voltage, if nothing could be the silinoid and or starter. Could be other things to, this would be a pointer for ya.

unimpressedguru
10

Wow way to go car gurus.... If its the starter tap on it with a wrench then if it cranks up its the starter.... If its 2001 the state will be found behind the motor above the scull and is the larger of the cylinders u have to hit. Beat it a few times then u it should work.... Sorry i couldn't help u 2 years ago, but i don't think these genius' knowledge helped either

unimpressedguru
10

Axle* / scull

beachbumbill07
20

2002 Saturn L100.112,000miles..running great never any problems....went to make an acceleration to get on freeway....engine just went dead..still had electrical power, no warning lites of any kind...engine turns over but will not fire.....any answers??