2001 saab radomly won't start or even turn over

maverickjohnson
0

Asked by maverickjohnson Sep 21, 2011 at 09:35 PM about the 2001 Saab 9-3

My 2001 saab  won't start sometimes or even turn over. All the gauges and the radio come on but that's it and now my buttons on my key won't even work and there is a dinging sound that won't go off while the door is open and the light doesn't dim ON when you pull the key out of the ignition ( it used to do this) Any ideas of what is going on?

gdchn
155

Hi there, Firstly, does your car start well first thing in the morning? If it does, fine. But then if it won't start for the rest of the day, say after you have done your groceries and then this issue happens...like intermittently Well, if that is the case, it could be due to your neutral safety switch being faulty.(ebay sells some used ones) I used to have this problem on my 2001 9-3 Intermittent no start problem - you turn the key to start, all of your interior/exterior lights work fine but nothing happens. 5, 10, 30 minutes pass and then it starts. The neutral safety switch sits onto the top of your transmission and lets the car know if it is in park, neutral, etc. If it doesn't think you are in either P or N, then guess what, no electricity gets to the starter. Try cycling your gear selector a bunch of times to see if you can then get it to start in either P or N. Chances are it may work some times. But it gets real frustrating, especailly when you are in a hurry. And believe me that's when it relly won't start. Another trick I learn't and with much sucess is to pour water over the neutral safety switch and then get in and start your engine, it'll surely fire. I do hope this will help you. Cheers.

Domcut
30

Im having this exact problem now with my 2006 9-3. Ive had it back to the dealership 3 times and they have replaced $3,000 worth of parts. Guess what.....still happening.

ProJoTrainer1976
10

its the neutral saftey switch , its a default apparently in our saabs, where if it gets 2 hot under the battery somewhere it wont start, i live in florida the way i learned to start it was to turn key, then put the gear up and down from park to the other end then press gas and it will suddenly start its a royal pain, I want to sell mine its falling apart, the florida weather everything is cracking falling off, I just over it, i want a scooter sell my car for parts, im tired of wasting money after money on a car thats only done 88,000 i mean really??? a toyota or a many cars go on forever ive had nothing but trouble I paid 6900 for it and now its a mess, Im very depressed. just dont even want to look at it.now i hafve 3 new problems the past 3 weeks, CRAZY??

ProJoTrainer1976
10

WOW donmcut if you looked it up online you could have saved the 3k, its a known problem with our saabs, i wish you knew b4 , but mecahnics dont care most time they just want our cash...I said most not all their are very nice 1s 2, but find me one in florida....lol

unwanted_prophet
20

Sometimes the DIC connections get corroded if not installed correctly, like mine. I'm a N00B, but if I scrape the connections it works again.

redfairy
25

It was the neutral safety switch in my 9-5.