will there ever be a recall for the in dash computer/radio station, 2nd to go bad in my 02

sevenpa
5

Asked by sevenpa Dec 05, 2007 at 09:02 AM about the 2002 Saab 9-3

car no longer under warranty!  very expensive to replace    seems to be big problem in all saabs that have them!

dvigano
8,215

Unfortunately, recalls not associated with safety issues are only requested by the automotive "watch dogs". It would be in your best interest to contact your local dealership (or Saab corporate) to discuss your concerns. I would state that you're prepared to write a letter to the Better Business Bureau (but be ready to follow through). I would also threaten to never purchase another Saab - anything that will peek their interest. You may want to reach out to other forums to gain support from other Saab owners in your same situation. The more that call to complain the better your case. Good Luck!

papa

no recals,just need to try and find problem and fix it.

Michael Hullihan
75

If you visit www.saabnet.com and go to the classified section, you will find a company that specializes in repairing the SID (Saab Information Display). They offer repair or perhaps even rebuilds (on electronics? not sure though). This isn't a fix but might soften the blow to your wallet the next time you have to fix it. Is it just a couple pixels going out or the whole thing. I know there are a couple out on mine. I just deal with it because it's still functional. Mike '00 Saab 9-3 57K

Greg Eastwood
70

Just take the unit out push the connectors on the display in harder, they just wobble loose. I have heard of people packing them with foam, or re-attaching them with an iron. People sell the instructions on how to do this on e-bay (step by step) for about $10 or so. (No I am not one of those people). It is a pretty simple proceedure.

Vilius Montrimavicius
35

BBA Raman is ramanufacturing these units for about $90. They're claiming that they have a 100% permanent fix for SIDs. You can try and play with it yourself, but the thing is that the connector has to be resoldered.. you'll need a really tiny soldering iron for those connections..

Greg Eastwood
70

I ended up giving mine a go with the iron about 6 months ago, then packing the connector with foam. Worked no worries, I had about 40% of my pixels missing, you really could not read it at all, now I have 100% of them working in my 1999 Viggen.

noel_ireland
15

I tried the fix kit from e-bay. it cost me €10 (ireland) It did not work !! The contacts are too minute (tiny). and the ribbon is fragile. I eventually sent it fir repair to England foe €60 and now it all works 100% Top o' the mornin !