I aminterested in a 2003 used 9-3 Linear with 50,000 miles. Is this a good used car? Do they start to fall apart now? What about the engine stalls and air compressor problems in some?

Asked by yahoo1 Aug 05, 2007 at 10:45 AM about the 2003 Saab 9-3

2003 Linear
50,000 miles
4 dr sedan

They are fairly decent cars. Only thing to keep in mind is that maintenance on Saab's can be fairly expensive and they aren't known to be the MOST reliable cars on the market. They said they aren't the worst either. There are a few recalls on the vehicle so make sure that everything that should have been replaced, has been. If you scroll to the bottom of the following page you will see the link to the recalls page. http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Overview-c5791-2003-9-3.html

Michael Hullihan

Depends on what your bench mark is. I have had 3 Saabs and loved each one of them. They are more pricey to fix than a domestic car but FAR less than it's German counterparts. I have heard of Saabs making it to 1,000,000 miles on the same block and chassis so they are built well. There are 1,000's out there with over 300,000 on them. Once again, it depends on what define as reliable. If you just came from a Honda, then they will be unreliable. I have been driving mine since I bought it with no problems, just routine maintenance. Just make sure if you do go for it, buy the 2.0L (which that car does have) and make sure you have a mechanic check it out. Sometimes you get people who treat these cars like a Honda or a Ford (i.e. poor, sporadic, maintenance) Like any machine, if you are good to it, it will return the favor. The reason I say go for the 2.0L is because Saab has been making that engine for 20+ years and it is bulletproof. The engine is, not the car. Also, the 2.0L has a timing chain. Take it from a guy who destroyed an engine when a mechanic didn't attach a timing belt cover correctly. I love my timing chain. 50K is getting into more maintenance territory but if you treat it well and it has been treated well, it will run forever. Hope that helps. Mike '00 Saab 9-3 57K-I love my turbo :D '94 Saab 900 V-6 Dead :( Sold '89 Saab 900 Still going 300K+-Traded in P.S. These cars are faster than the numbers would lead you to believe. Much faster.

Kedron Ketcham

I loved the car! No problems mechanicaly! Only computer problems! Tires are also used fast! I now drive a Subaru WRX and I like it better, just as fun, without the problems!

Shawny Atkinson

I have the arc, and even though i have a Saab certified car with 100k warranty....i have never needed it for major mechanical...just stupid little computer tweaks.

Anthony Allen

I have an 03 Saab 93 linear. It's a really good car. They do have some ECU problems as far as dash and radio problems when you fix the ECU problem that is too. Its fun and handles very well. I am I technician for a GM dealership. Saab was bought out by GM so the linear version vector , arc, and aero is a turbo 2.0 ecotec. Everything about that motor is exactly the same as the cobalt. The new 08 saabs also share the same 2.0 turbos in the cobalt SS's. The only thing is the saab end of the design is what makes it difficult to work on hence high price service and parts for the name Saab. I do love the car and will soon be buying a Saab 9-3x. Also 17mm to remove lugs, 5 quarts of any type full synth oil, and AC delco oil filter 13mm wrench for drain plug and 1 1/8 low pro socket for oil filter, few jacks and jack stands and service your saab yourself. Anything else major take to dealership and definitly extend your warranty or get one. And if anyone wants to ask for advice or what to do or for more knowledge please let me know I'd love to help. My car has 86,000 miles on it no engine stalls , no compressor problems. just a need for the re-flash to the ECU.

Anthony Allen

the new 4cyl motors are actually a 2.4t. my bad.

Tommy Cuthbertson

i have a 2003 linear. i love it so much...but the repairs are incredibly expensive (for a 17 year old) and the electronic stuff sucks. mine is almost at 90,000 miles but everything mechanical in mine works perfectly except the cruise control. the stock stereo is crap. i have replaced every speaker in the car and added 2 12" Kenwood subs and 4 4x9 planet audio speakers. that fixed A LOT :) overall, i love the car and i would def buy one especially with 50,000 miles

Brian Leeper

The engine stalls are fixed with new software...make sure all the updates have been done. The air conditioning compressor problems...I haven't heard of any. If it has an automatic, there was a recall on the radiator, because it would allow coolant to get into the transmission fluid through the cooler. Make sure this has been done.

Brian Leeper

It may not have been a recall, but a TSB. In either case it should have been fixed.

hi, wondered if ou could help we have a saab 93 2.0 t and the battery keeps draining and the radio and SID display now has blown have you any idea what this fault could be (we have replaced battery and tested alternator)