My 88 royale wont start

Naim Wilson
10

Asked by Naim Aug 06, 2010 at 01:20 AM about the 1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale

Ok.....
I had troubles with this car a month ago not starting... It turned out to be the fuel pump. It had been running perfectly until this afternoon...
It would not start...
The battery is fine, as the radio AC, and everything else came on...
Once the key was interserted and turned.. the needles and light turned on, but it would not roll over.
We checked the fluids...
the oil level was really low, so we will get the oil for it tonight...
But on the chance that will not fix it..

What could it be?
There are no leaks anywhere, it was running beautifully before.

Michael Stewart
305

Check the neutral safety switch - Put your foot on the brake and put the car in neutral. Then try to start it. If it starts the neutral safety switch is bad. It could be the ignition switch. It could be to starter solenoid. Does it have an inertia switch? They rarely go bad but I have seen it.

Michael Urbanski
175

What year is your 88? Do you have the pass-key system (computer chip on your key?)

Naim Wilson
10

Well, thanks guys... We got it fixed, apparently it was a loose battery cable and a spark plug wire that was almost burned all the way through.

Michael Stewart
305

Thanks for letting us know the cause and I'm glad you got it fixed.

juicedout90
40

I have a simular prob, I replaced my ignition. I did so because I lost my original keys. is there a way to start my car?

pensaul
20

Check out Chiltons General Motors number 28200 Repair Manual; page 5-6 Engine Electrical Systems; my husband replaced the coil pack, and making this story shorter than the last; he discovered the plug shown illustration 8.3 was not tighten down as far as it should have been. After dealing with the same problem for almost two years, he discovered this problem and the Olds has been running great.

Help1993
20

I have a 1993 Olds 3800 new battery new starter still the dash light come on but wont kick over, I am getting no power to the starter solenoid, checked it with a light. Any suggestion