Drivetrain vibration

RodC
0

Asked by RodC Mar 05, 2009 at 08:45 AM about the 2006 Nissan Frontier

At 63,000 miles I got a vibration and had the u-joints replaced - they were rusted.  I also had the center bearing replaced (I think it's called the carrier bearing) and I had the driveshaft balanced.  There's still a vibration.  Also had the tires rotated and balanced.  This truck is primarily on the highway and has never hit a large pothole or been off-road.  It's had an easy life!  What is causing this vibration.  It happens only at highway speeds.

tigerpawred
30

I have the same problem. My truck sounds like I'm running over the ripples on the side of a highway to warn you that you're running off the road but not as rough.

Micah Agnoli
45

check your shocks, you might have a blown one.

opetech
110

Just wondering if you figured out your vibration problem. I just purchased a 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 about month ago and it is doing the same thing. it is smooth and no vibration till I hit about 62 mph then it vibrates and is very annoying. I have new tires, u-joints seem ok. I dont know what else to look for. Thanks.

Daniel Knapp
25

I also had that prob. and I also got them rotated and balanced but i also had to get an all wheel alignment...hope that helps

opetech
110

I think I may have found the problem, but did not have time to fix it. The u-joint on the front drive shaft closest to the transfer case has alot of sideto side play in it. I purchased 2 new u-joints but not able to to find time to install them. I will let you know as soon as I repair it and it fixes the problem? I'm pretty sure this is where the vibration and ticking noise is coming from.

opetech
110

I found the problem. The front drive shaft u-joint was bad. Replaced both u-joints, No more vibration or ticking noise. runs smooth and quiet now.

opetech
110

Check your front drive shaft u-joints, replaced both of them and vibration and ticking noise are gone. Heard it from another owner and same u-joint was bad-the rear one on the front shaft. Replace them both while the shaft is off.

RodC
0

I eventually had the driveshaft re-balanced a second time and it seemed to help quite a bit. Only a slight vibration from time to time. The drivetrain shop recommended building a new driveshaft from scratch - its' actually cheaper in the long run to do this than keep going back. I did have the best u-joints I could find installed in the beginning, but never thought to replace them again. I've now got 91,000 miles on the truck and things have stayed the same - mostly smooth with an occasional slight vibration at certain highway speeds, but nothing that really bothers me.