i have 2000 ford f250 gas 4wd doesnt work or the light doesnt work as well

aurorasmalleng
40

Asked by aurorasmalleng Dec 16, 2010 at 04:29 PM about the 2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty

4wd not working and also light not working i looked at fuse all good relay good switch on dash
good hose on dif good elec motor no power going to it looked for broken wires dont see none
broke or see green  

papa

check the rubber lines on top of transfer case,cracks,broken,if they look ok,their is a motor on back of it,it could be bad.

aurorasmalleng
40

but light doesn't work as well i know the light does work

aurorasmalleng
40

when you put it in 4wd light doesn't come on but i know the light does work because when i turn key on to start the 4wd light and all cluster lights come as normal if the hose had a hole in it light should still work ? thank you

papa

yes the light should work,but if a line is craced or the motor on back of transfer case is bad,it wont go into 4x4,is vac and motor operated at same time.the light switch is connected to the keyswitch which is what is lightened when you turn the switch on,but it will not come on if the 4x4 is not enguadgeing,is on a different circute.

aurorasmalleng
40

the motor on back of transfer case is good i put a new one on

papa

OK,new motor,checked vac lines,does it try to enguage in 4x4 or not,if not next thing to check would be the hub assem to see if splines have striped.most of the time the slider in front differential will stick causeing the 4x4 not to enguage,put in nutrual and keep putting it in and out of 4x4,this will get the slider unstuck,im not sure if ford has a acuaitor or not,if it does that could also be the problen,is just plastic with a diafram in it that engauges dis eng,the 4x4,look on front differ,see if their is a cable from it going up into engine comparment,if it has,it will be located on passenger side up to front of fender,and is usually located under battery tray.if it has one you will know if bad has rubber around top ,cracked ,split ,is a $40.00 part easy to remove,install.

aurorasmalleng
40

i under stand but light should still be come on and it doesnt

papa

Dont worrie about the light,It has nothing to do with it not going into 4x4.

jacksonlee21
80

My 1999 F250 will not go into 4Wdrive. Cant find a blown fuse under dash or hood. Pulled dash switch and dont have power to the switch.Black wire on switch reads 0 volts. One of the other wires reads 6 volts to ground. Any ideas? Manual doesnt tell which fuse is for 4X4.

papa

try a new swich.,their is also a motor on back of transfercase that may be bad,as for the fuses on cover it will tell you which fuse is what they are numbered and will say 4x4.

nestor95
60

how to trun on the 4wd

Anthony Catauro
10

Well this is my 4th supreduty. First time with the 4x4 switch. I bought this one used. I had no 4wheel. The hubs were bad so I changed them out to manual ones. I had no power at the switch, all fuses were good, relays had some corrosion so I cleaned them. The transfer case plugs were good but no power there as well. So I traced the wires back to the relays under the hood and found a broken wire at the relay box. Made the fix and the transfer case engaged.

dax2kool
10

My 06 f350 6.0l diesel 4x4 auto .... driving down the road and all the gages go out, the electric windows wont work, electric door locks wont work, radio doesnt work, clock doesnt work, and 4x4 light doesnt come on when put in 4wd, .... everything else seems to keep working ..... no reason everything just pops back on ...... I had a shop put it on a scope and they came up with, the fuse box needs replaced, taking their word for it I put in a $318.00 fuse box still does exactly the same thing ....... I assume there must be a relay or ??? that all of these items are connected to, but, I dont know which one or what else to try...... I dont want to just throw any more money at it until I get it narrowed down a little bit more. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

jackmanmachine
650

check for corroded conductor UNDER shift relays located under hood.

jackmanmachine
650

remove shift relay block under hood, look for corroded wires to UNDERSIDE of relay sockets. common issue, under reported. in mean time, take cover off two relays, use your finger to close relay contacts, shift should work fine. what happens is open condition closes when downward pressure from volt/ohm meter is used to check continuity......then reopens when pressure is removed, drives you batty.