overdrive auto off?

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

Asked by Kelly May 11, 2011 at 07:29 PM about the 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

today i was driving my truck (96 ram 1500, auto 5.9) home and had 2 50 gallon drums full of fuel in the bed, bout half way home, i noticed my overdrive button was lit up, this is the second time this has happened, the first time i was hauling a chevy home from pheonx AZ
i figured out if i put the truck in neutral while driving (avoiding pulling over) and shut the truck off and restart it, i would have OD again
is something that is supposed to happen when hauling? or is my OD starting to go out?
its been about 5-6 months since the last time this happened

Dan Connell
4,935

the TCM turns OD off when your tranny temp gets too high, since you keep turning it off and resetting the TCM so you get overdrive back youve prolly began to really cook your over drive clutches

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

oooooo guess its a good thing i only did it once then..... thanks any reccomendations on what to use for a trans temp gauge???? now that i know i need one

Dan Connell
4,935

i just bought whatever was at pepboys like a sunpro or some thing that got the job done for 10 bucks, theres all sorts of ports you can tap on the transmission

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

alrighty, that works for me thanks again luckily i have two trannys in the back yard for replacement lol

Dan Connell
4,935

but id say if you only did it once, pull the pan, drain all the fluid replace it with new and hook the gauge up you should be okay

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

right on thanks again, really appreciate it man

Dan Connell
4,935

i have the 3 guage pillar, with the sunpro trans guage you can have the whole thing for 50 bucks, the pillar was 30 and has never been used, and the gauge was 20 bucks it has the wires and every thing

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

alrigt man, just gotta see if i cant get the money saved up working for your dad doesnt exactly bring in the bucks since hes paying the bills haha