Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 four wheel drive

Kyle Anderson
45

Asked by Jan 24, 2010 at 07:56 PM about the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500

I drive a 96 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9L, and every time i use four wheel drive, it seems to loudly vibrate and sound horrible, any ideas? Also, gears do not shift while in four high, but they shift in 2 wheel drive.

Cliff Cole
25

kinda sounds like your transfer case is messed up. try changing your transfer case fluid. and as far as the shifting thing. basically the only thing i could think it is would be the computer telling your transmission not to shift so that you don't destroy your trans. case.

Kyle Anderson
45

I had a buddy of mine suggest changing the differential fluid, should i do that and the transfer case fluid at the same time?

Dan Connell
8,955

transfer case fluid and diff fluid are the same and for the most part wear out at the same rate, id suggest changing the fluid at both diffs and the trans case, the reason it vibrates and sounds terrible is just because of simple wear and tear, my 96 does the same thing with over 220,000 miles on it, its more than expected, the transmission not shifting could be any thing, i suggest turning your over drive off first off if that doesnt do some thing, then shift on the "tree" being in fourwheel drive your usually never going to be moving much faster than 30 miles an hour so all you should need is first or second.

Mike Tritle
2,875

CHECK THE BOOK BEFORE DUMPING GEAR OIL IN THE TRANSFER CASE! Some require trans fluid, not gear oil!

Mike Tritle
2,875

You could also have bad U Joints on the front shaft.

Cliff Cole
25

yea the u-joints could be the problem causing the vibrations, or if you or a previous owner (if therre is one) has done a suspension lift above a certain height ( i forgot how high it is) then your pinion angle could be off. have you tried what the other guy said about shifting maunally on the column?

Dan Connell
8,955

i know for a fact the transfer case on these trucks dont take transmission fluid, thats a GM thing.

Kyle Anderson
45

Truck had a previous owner, but no suspension work was done, and I just replaced both fron axel u-joints, so that isnt the problem, i have yet to change the fluid though so i'll see how that goes. Also, no i have not tried to shift on the tree yet.

James Boffenmyer
305

I have a 2wd dodge, but I've had many complaints with the 94-99 dodge 4wd trannys. I dont how I would help you but I work at an auto parts store, I'll ask around for any suggestions.

Michael Hubschman
50

Dodge specifically calls for a certain spec # Automatic Transmission Fluid, people like you cause more problems than they solve and should KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT when they don't know WTF they are talking about. Recommended lubricant for the NV241 GENII, NV271, NV243, NV244 GENII, and NV273 transfer cases is MOPARĀ® ATF +4, Automatic Transmission Fluid. NOT GEAR OIL.

ken_k_j
20

1st of all i have talked to a bunch of machinics on dodges and yes I SAID YES some dodge transfer cases use transmission fluid ( mine does) most likely your probly is your drive shaft needs new u joints and possably lost a weight for ballence take to your local shop and have your drive shaft ballanced (please excuse my spelling) also every 24k miles you need to titen your bands upper and lower also every 24k u need to change tranni fluid ( i dont care what anyone else says there full of it) i know sevral dodge dealer machinics and thats what they tell me well good luck hope u get the problem solved :)

Dan Connell
8,955

you might be an idiot, the transmission calls for mopar ATF+4, the transfer cases dont take ATF or gear fluid they actually take 10w40 motor oil, i grew up with dodge trucks and my family owns a dealership, if you wanna fight with me about it ill pull out every book,TSB and recall ever reported on a dodge truck.

Mike Tritle
2,875

I feel like a referee! http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/tranfer_case.htm

Dan Connell
8,955

do you have access to alldata or any thing along those lines, im looking through some old tattered TSBs that we have in binders for the 94-01 rams, im not going to get into technical jargon and what not, but it more or less states 3 types of fluids can be used, 10w30 motor oil, Mopar ATF+4, or 75w90 for those living in hot climates, or those who use the vehicle for heavy towing. theres plenty of revisions for these older trucks, on fluid types and specifications

briansands
10

here is a simple thing that is often overlooked on a 4 x4 truck, it absolutley must have 4 matching tires, different size tires rotate at different rates which causes a lot of noise and vibration.

aljagusch
10

my 2001 Dodge 1500 Off-road only drives if the four wheel drive...all u-joints, front axle and front hubs have been replaced. Also just put on all same size new tires.

aljagusch
10

Truck is driving only in front wheel drive while the four wheel is engaged

Brianram1500
0

Check out the front drive line velocity joint

frazzi123
20

Dan Dan Dan... Just because you think you know something (without having any idea what you talking about or actually taking the time to look it up) don't try to back it up with lies. If your family still owns this supposed dealership, maybe you should mention to their mechanics that they are using the wrong fluid. Could explain all the warranty claims!

Dillon_Proctor
0

Whatever you do, DO NOT put gear oil into a New Process T-case built after 1985 The standard T-case for a 94-01 Dodge Ram is the ND231HD which requires the use of either ATF or Mopar # 4 Automatic Transmission Fluid for proper lubrication

Robert Rodriguez
0

Well I recently bought my 97 dodge ram 1500.I never had a truck.today I drove in 4wd calling around for answers on "if it's ok to drive on the hwy, n what speed can I go.the roads were bad today due to the winter storm we just had.being icy, wet, n sleet.so I thought I'd come home n google my questions. Reading along, guess I kno now about the loud noise my truck was making while n 4WD.seems like dodges do that huh.Now for the most part, man I didnt or couldnt get any other info. With all the different opinions n shit.talking down to others..so hopefully n the future you guy's wouldn't do that.for people like myself who dont really kno much about their vehicle n search thru sites like these looking for some straight solid answers from solid people out there in this world.with that said, much respect n thank yous for those who read this n agree.and even those who dont agree. BIG ROB.