Transmission problem...99 dodge ram 1500

helplessmechanic
0

Asked by helplessmechanic Jan 24, 2012 at 08:17 PM about the 1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

I just swapped engines from a 96 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.9 to a 99 dodge ram 1500 also with a 5.9.  Engine is running good but the transmission won't shift into gear.  I dumped about 3.5 quarts of tranny fluid in but still nothing.  Only thing I can think of is that the torque converter isn't pumping fluid.  Any suggestions?

Tim Massey
285

The torque converter may have slipped forward far enough to dis-engage from the trans oil pump. It happened to me once...then it sheared the tabs in the transmission the 1st time the engine started. I took out the trans and replaced it with one from a salvage yard and all was good. ps...it was also on a Dodge with 5.9 I hope you find a less expensive solution.

Best Answer
Mike Tritle
1,695

You converter needs to slip in the trans with 3 seperate depths on the way in. If you only got one, the engine prabably would have appeared to be siezed up. Second might go either way but can do what Tim described above. You can check to see if the pump is working by connecting a pressure gauge to the trans to check pump pressure.

helplessmechanic
0

Pulled the transmission today...it was just like Tim said. Thanks a bunch guys.

rick2014
10

Mike, Where on the transmission do you connect the gage to check pump pressure? Also...my trans will go in reverse with no problem but does not go in 3 forward..so does that mean the pump is working? Rick