why wont my truck stay running

outcasthero
0

Asked by outcasthero Nov 30, 2012 at 09:35 PM about the 2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

ok i have a 2000 dodge 1500 with the 360 in it ive just replaced the battery and alternator fuse. i drove the truck for about 2 weeks then i go out one morning to hunt and the truck wont start. so i tryd jumping the truck it spluttered at first so i rev the engine and it started to run then i let off the gas and it dies right off no hesitation so whats the deal.

supaman1stnna
5

you might need to replace alternator... The battery is just to start truck but it should run off alternator fter its started...

aztec626bf
8,785

Take truck to local auto parts store and get battery and alternator checked for free. If all checks out look for voltage leaks/shorts. It is normal on dodge for them not to idle after a dead battery. Once system voltage gets back to normal it should idle again.

sloandog
10

check to make sure your air filter intake componets are tight, any extra air will screw with the air fuel mixture.

98wagon
50

Check the Idle Air Control Valve. It's on the throttle body held by two torx screws. I had the same problem and replacing that fixed it.

tanicc
250

After a dead battery is charged you need to do the following to reset your computer chip: 1) disconnect neg cable 2) turn key to start position and hold for 30 seconds while pushing your gas to the floor. 3) reconnect your neg terminal. 4) restart your engine and it will run fine.

hardshifter7
20

reset youre battery.just as mr.tanicc said.

Larry Wall
10

I did all this and replaced my IAC multiple times. This was confusing because after replacing the IAC the first time it lasted like a week before issue arose again, the second replacement lasted a month, the third replacement lasted a week, and the forth only lasted a day. Actually not even quite a day. I am thinking weather was also a part of how well the battery held a charge and why each time it seemed to work at different amounts of time after replacing IAC. Got the battery checked and it had a bad cell. This would not hold as well a charge and was even a drag on the system. Just weird because the vehicle would not hold idle at all and as soon as I let off the gas it would go straight to 0 rpm. The battery was only putting out like 10.5 volts and supposedly the computer will not operate well with low voltage and will not idle. You would think the thing could run without the battery and on the alternator but not if you have a bad battery cell. Most places give free battery test. Save yourself the headache I had by getting that free check. I just used both feet to drive there. One to keep my truck idle and for driving on the gas, and then other on the brake. When pressing brake just lightly come off the gas. If you come too far off the gas and the vehicle turns off you will lose hydraulics to steering and brakes. You do not want that to happen if you are too close to other vehicles or people. So be careful and do not drive if you have to go too far. Luckily for me I just had to drive a few blocks away to the nearest auto parts store.