truck wont stay running

hubbard
20

Asked by hubbard Feb 13, 2010 at 08:41 AM about the 2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

I have a 2001 dodge 1500 pickup. The truck fires right up but will not stay running unless I keep my foot on the gas. As soon as I let off the throttle it dies instantly without sputtering. Gauges read fine and it does it even after it has warmed up. Before I tear into it, I was hoping somebody would have some simple solutions to check first. Thanks.

Juan Perez
695

you should look into the TPS

James Boffenmyer
185

I have a 1997 Dodge and I've had that problem on more than a few occasions. I would firstly check the plugs, wires, distributor cap and button. If they are in good shape, Check your throttle position sensor and Idle Air Control Valve (Both located on the throttle body). If those aren't the issues, check out your fuel delivery system, (Fuel pump in the gas tank and fuel injectors). Those would be the possible issues that I would check out. My issue was the sensor and IAC valve. Best of Luck!

Justin Doucette
1,655

360 engine? Have your battery tested.... I'll bet you it's toast

Angus Gillingham
135

as Justin says,"change out the battery",or at least make sure that the terminals are clean.Get an amperage test done on your battery to test it for endurance because just because it says 12 volts means nothing really for the battery's ability to produce amperage to run the relays for the various electronic controls.I had this same problem and it dissappeared when I changed out the battery.

Dan Connell
5,715

its not the battery if the truck is starting, once the truck is running you can pop the battery out and drive around all day with just the alternator (say its bullshit and ill make a video for you) when you let off the gas if the oil pressure goes down power gets cut to your fuel pump ( atleast thats what my 96 did before i got a new oil pump in it) so watch your oil pressure gauge when you let off the gas. you could have a bad TPS sensor ( it wont always throw a check engine light) thats were id start personally.

Matt Brun
265

could definitely be your fuel pressure. . . it is a finiky thing, might have enough to start the truck but as soon as you go to idle the pressure isnt sufficient for combustion to remain active. also could be a vacuum leak. if it's bad enough, then your truck wont have enough fuel in the cylinder to fire which is why it will start but wont idle, but may continue to run if you are feeding it gas.

Matt Brun
265

READ THIS: CHECK -ALL- OF YOUR AIR INTAKE HOSES: possibly nothing short of a miracle for you happened to me. . . my father let me drive his '91 Volvo 940turbo from Louisville, KY to Little Rock, AR to see my 4 day old niece. 1/2 way through the trip down there I check his oil, which I personally changed for him days before Christmas '09, and not only was it low, but it was dirty too. Rather than add oil then, I decided to change the oil for him during my visit in AR. In doing so, I also changed his air filter which required disconnecting some intake hoses to access. Once replacing the air filter and reconnecting the hoses, I take a shower and get ready to leave but the car does -EXACTLY- what you are describing. It promptly starts, but immediately dies. I initially think it's because the engine is not properly lubricated, but with repeat starts and feeding it gas, the same thing happens. I check the engine bay and one of the large intake hoses I disconnected was still not connected. . . but at the -opposite- end of the hose. . .which I didnt even touch. It was after the o2 sensor and so the engine had sufficient air intake but the sensor was not reading as such and was killing the engine. Your problem may be as small has having an intake leak or an intake hose disconnected, most likely post-o2 sensor. Hope this helps!! Might be the prefect answer to your problem that just happened to slide past me and let me diagnose and figure out.

Justin Doucette
1,655

It could definitely be the battery, these trucks need 12.5-13 volts to idle properly.... the starter doesn't require nearly a much voltage. I've seen it happen hundreds of times on Rams, Dakotas and Durangos. Not trying to argue with you but it's an extremely common issue

Dan Connell
5,715

lets put it this way check your voltmeter, i know on my truck the one on the dash hovers around 14-16, but my trailer brake controller has a voltage monitor and im any were between 14.5-15.5, but still if the battery isnt putting out atleast 12v your not gonna start the truck its that simple the starter needs 12 volts to operate properly, and like i said before you dont physically need a battery to run the truck only to start it. And ive idled my truck at 8 volts before when my alternator was starting to go, it doesnt run good but it never stalled out or any thing

hubbard
20

well, that problem is solved. I know I little about vehicles, but some of the sensors and valves they put on them lately have got me a bit puzzled. it ended up being the idle air control. I figured that out by first replacing the tps and then the iac. So $110 later(for 2 little plastic devices) it was runnin. I knew it wasn't the battery because of its continuous starting ability. However, since then my transfer case has been shattered while driving down the highway. How cheaps that gonna be? Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.

Dan Connell
5,715

if your gonna stay with the same spicer transfer case, since rams from 94-01 are the exact same with parts and what not, you can get a transfercase out of a junk yard for under $150 dollars, a new one is in the range of 3-400 how ever, if your paying a shop to put it in, theyll charge you for about 5-7 hours of labor, atleast thats about how long it took me to put a new transfercase in my 96.

Angus Gillingham
135

come on now,(running the truck without a battery connected),man,this is a no,no anytime.The persons answering this question and stating a battery condition are doing so because ,even the newer snowmobiles that use relays now to operate and switch various circuits act this way even, especially when the battery is not fully charged or for whatever reason the battery is causing issues.

Angus Gillingham
135

I agree with this diagnosis Justin..

Justin Doucette
1,655

Glad you got it sorted out... GL with the tcase

You think this is helpful.
Dan Connell
5,715

ok which is why (mr. running a vehicle with a battery is a no, anytime.) at any auto motive repair shop you go too to get a battery swapped out they will first start the vehicle with the old battery, remove the old battery (with the vehicle still running) and replace it with a new battery (thats how jiffy lube, valvoline IOC, and most dealerships do it), i do it all the time if youd like ill put a video up just special for you because you dont understand that all the alternator does is recycle power around the vehicles electrical system the only real time your battery is really being used is if you have a large draw on your power system ie starting the vehicle.

Justin Doucette
1,655

I donno what shops you visit but I've never seen anyone change a battery that way. New vehicles have a safety feature, if you get in a wreck and break the battery it's designed so the motor stops running. Or, if the fire department comes out and disconnects the battery like is standard practice, it will keep the motor from running as well.... Sometimes they can't simply reach in and turn the key. Older motor used to run directly off of the alternator, the newer ones run and charge through the PCM. If you remove the power to the PCM, it shuts everything else down.

Dan Connell
5,715

well im not a total idiot i know the BRAND new cars have all that stupid stuff, but i know for a fact 2001 rams dont, hell im even willing to bet he doesnt have to hit his brake to shift out of park very very few dodge trucks had that safety feature until 2003 lol

Bill Massey
95

If you haven't solved it yet, I would clean the AIS motor and throttle body with Carb Cleaner first.

Justin Doucette
1,655

Any late model vehicle will do the same, because when you remove the + cable, you're removing both the battery power to the PCM and the charging wire from the alternator at the same time and since charging and ignition are usually both run through the PCM, it dies. Every vehicle in North America has had to depress the brake to shift from park since the 90's, like every other part of a vehicle some times the lock out breaks or wears out... like in my Dakota

Dan Connell
5,715

well i know for a fact that thing about vehicles in the 90s and the depressing of the brake to shift is wrong, my truck doesnt even have a place to put a lock to keep it from shifting with out the brake niether do any of the other rams that ive worked on lately theyre all mostly 93s-98s, and on my moms 07 durango night runner when i was doing a new battery i was able to start it and take the battery out with the truck running and install the new one.

Justin Doucette
1,655

They don't have a place to put the lock? your joking right? This discussion has become extremely tedious, you clearly know everything for a fact......carry on changing batteries on running vehicles.

Dan Connell
5,715

im dead ass ive gone through three transmissions on that thing each one has been a junk yard special and my linkage doesnt have the lock, and im sorry for challenging you, apparently your an all knowing god of cars and what you say goes ill back off im clearly out classed.

highlandstony
20

I had the same problem. After i put a small charge on my 2002 Ram the started but it would not stay running without some pressure on the gas pedal. After driving around a bit the problem started to go away so i put full charge on the battery and everything was fine. Not sure what drained the battery in the first place.

Jon Robbins
10

like the one guy said make sure ur battery is good and terminals are clean if u have corrison on terminals truck with crank but not idle and make sure there tight also i have 97 dodge ram 360 done the same thing also clean ur air breather

jRUSSELLtrc
260

i will be driving down the road and all of the sudden the truck will start to cut out and jerk sometimes it will stall or it will cut out and then come right back and do ok for a while and then sometimes ill have to pull over and when i try to start it it just turns over until i turn the key off, turn it back on to the on position push the gas pedel to the floor and let it up and it will start right back up when this happens the check engine light comes on it dont come on until this happens i have a 2005 dodge ram 4x4 with a 5.7 hemi and i do know u cant leave a engine running anymore without a batty and all cars and trucks have a safty feature where u have to push on the brake before u can put the car in drive its been like that for along time now the guy that says u can run a car without a battery is mistaken its just didnt happen,but back to my problem i think it is the tps because u can reset it by pushing the pedal down and right back up it resets the sencor as soon as i do that it works everytime it has never failed to work if i do that thanks for listening to me and give me an answer of u might think it is i thank you

Derrick Hyser
50

i have a 98 dakota i cut the ignition wires under the steering wheel and re wired them and i put new belts on the gas tank every thing was fine one day i was driving in the rain an my truck shut off wouldnt start i checked the fuse box under the hood and the fuel pump relay was caroaded and the tip off the wire was caroaded i couldnt get the tips out so i cut them and rewired the to a relay now i pulled the line off the gas tank and im getting full and the bleader valve on the rail im getting fuel before i did the wiring on the relay i had to start it with starting fluid and when i would push the pedal down it would shut off now i have pedal but it wont stay running PLEASE HELP PLEASE im lost e mail what ever it takes derrickhyser@aim.com thank you

lenf1947
30

Thx truck been setting in grandfather barn for 3 yrs had 2 jump it to get it started turned right over and started up but as soon as u take foot off gas it quite Oh it"s a 2002 Dokata

98wagon
30

I had the same problem. 1998 Dodge 2500 Ram Van with a 360. It started and ran with a foot on the gas pedal but died instantly at idle. I tested the battery and it read 12v. Did a test while jumped to another battery in a running car to make sure system was at full charge - still died. Then I removed the Idle Air Control Valve located near the transmission side of the throttle body. Two torx screws. Replaced it and viola! Van runs and idles great.

CMwannabee
25

I am having the same problem goin to get the tps an iac right now check back with status after puting it back on

CMwannabee
25

Changed TPS sensor its running fine, was easy to install. Thanks guys I totally appreciate this site

Mimi Weeley-Villanueva
10

My sisters truck is having a similar issue......2002 ram 1500.....so she should check the same thing? Iac and tps? Its also blowing out black smoke....??

glennt
30

could some one give me direction on what might be my problem ,I got a 98 dodge Dakota 3.9 it will start and stop just as if I primed it then shut the key off and turn it on again it will keep doing the same thing it will only start for a few seconds rev. up and stall out every time.i replaced the I c valve removed the bat cables and it still does the same thing

travelingirl
210

Hope this helps. remove the cable from the negative post on the battery. Turn the ignition into the start position and hold it there for 30 seconds. This resets the computer. Then reattach the cable and start the vehicle. It works every time for me.

jarvey
10

dont no wats up,jus changed iac and tps in mine n it will not start at all now!HELP!!!!

Alie Neshan
20

We're having the same issue rite now with my dad's truck it starts but will not idle when u push the gas the throttle doesn't do anything any advise please

williamdavis
10

check your tpi or your idle controll sensor.

travelingirl
210

The real answer is...I have done this dozens of times because my battery used to die a lot...Step 1: disconnect the battery. Step 2: turn your key all the way to the start position and hold it there for 30 seconds. Step 3: reconnect your battery. Step 4: start your car. I was told that this "resets" the vehicles computer. Works for me every time and I have no further issues until the next time by battery dies.

I_T_Mechanic
20

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup. Battery was flat this morning. Charged it for a couple hours and truck started but would stall when RPMs fell below 1000. Got a new battery (figured fix the obvious problem before troubleshooting anything else) and all was back to normal.

travelingirl
210

Did you disconnect the battery, then turn the key all the way to the start possition for 30 seconds to reset the computer, then reconnect the battery? This should work.

travelingirl
210

So many people jump in spending money to replace things rather than resetting the computer first. No one will tell you to do this if they can get you to give them money for things you don't need. It isn't a battery problem. However changing the battery may indeed reset the computer as well. Also, I have driven the car for a several blocks without allowing the engine revs to fall low enough for it to quit on me and that has also resulted in resetting the computer. Try one or both of these BEFORE you spend money.

tanicc
140

You are Right Travelingirl. I was ready to start replacing coils, crank sensors and Throttle Position sensors on my 2001 Ran 1500. After a dead battery it would stall as soon as my foot came off the gas. I did the disconnect on the battery and turned the key for 30 seconds. Like magic it solved the problem..A 5 minute free Fix.

Shane0225
10

I just changed out the corroded positive terminal on my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L and it fixed the problem for me.

lordway
20

Had same problem; jumped the car to start it but it wouldn't idle. Battery was 6 years old. Took it back to cost co and got a 20% rebate and bought a new battery. Everything is back to normal.

Truckseeker2
10

I have a similar problem, my truck for 1 is eating O2 sensors for some reason, just replace entire exhaust about 6 months back due O2 sensor going out and when i took it into get it replaced they told me they have never seen a dual system set up like i had. True duals with 2 cats. However both O2 sensors were on the passenger side cat one at the front of it and one at the rear of it but both on the cat. Anyways I replaced the hole thing and went back to one cat with a y pipe set up just like from the factory. now the O2 sensors still go out and trip CEL. just recently it started it idle lower than normal, sometimes after shifting into park and pulling out of drive way it dies, fires right back up then drives great. once up to 60 it drops out of gear then will slam back into it. The tranny was just rebuilt so it is working fine, the tps, iac, and map sensors are all new and just had a tune up. any help?

Truckseeker2
10

truck is a 98 dodge 1500 360 4x4 auto single cab long wheel base

loog
0

Ok! I have had the problem on my 1500 Dodge truck (98') model where it starts and dies at idle. Replaced fuel pump due to the fact it was not picking up the fuel, seemed to have fixed the problem only for it to returen a year later! Have since tried the solution "Travelingirl" has suggested and the truck is working fine...it's been less than 24 hrs but the truck is running fine to this point. Will give further update to see how this progresses!!!

Mark Galbraith
10

I just had the same problem: Truck started, but wouldn't stay running unless I kept giving it gas. After checking a couple other forums, I tried rebooting the computer. Disconnect the battery for 2-3 minutes. After reconnecting everything, the truck runs great. No need to tear into anything. First rule of electronics: unplug it, then plug it back in. If that doesn't work, THEN move on to more intrusive inspection.

infimous1
5

Please HELP.....I have a 1998 Dodge 1500 with the V6...for 3 weeks it has been stalling occasionally at a stop sign and/or while driving any speed, usuall it spits and sputter, then fires back up when I'm moving at a fairly fast speed. I does a bit of backfire sometimes when this happens and it sometimes will stall and do this 2 or 3 times before it clears up and runs right til my destination or for at least several more miles....I replaced my fuel pressure regulator today thinking for sure that $100 part must be it but I am still having the issue. My only vehicle and scared to death it's gonna leave me stranded and losing my job hurting our family severely!

Joey Williams
0

2001 360.Mine was the battery

Herbert Jones
0

Thanks a lot I reset my computer my 2002 ram with 5.9 started right up

infimous1
5

I ended up having to replace my computer and it's been running like new since! What a headache and bitch to diagnose! Thanks to all those whom said Computer problem

sandabearwilson
0

my mechanic says I don't have a stalling problem I have a starting problem. '99 Ram lets me down and will NOT restart, after firing up perfectly to get us out of the driveway. Smelled firecrackers the last time I started it (quick start-up, then I shut her off). he doesn't want to throw darts at repairing it; says he's tried the above.

sandabearwilson
0

except new computer - says manufacturer has to do it

sandabearwilson
0

anybody in Manitoba want to buy it so THEY can fix it?

Steve Nielsen
35

Back to the question . No one said once about checking to see if the alternater was checked to see if it was still good. The first two things to be checked is the battery and alternater. My ram would not start unless it was boosted than I had to hold the gas . Once the gas was let go the rpms would drop and the truck would die... check alt and batt at your local parts place.

Ginson_CanadaEH
0

My 1996 dodge 1500 would not idle with out holding the pedal down a bit. I read these post and cleaned my throttle body. I also found a vacuume hose that was shot. She is running better than ever. Thanks for the help.

RichardDSanders
0

thanks for the info fellas. I believe this issue is battery related. My 1999 Dodge Ram would start, but would not stay started unless I held my foot on the gas. It was running perfect the day before so I had not idea why this was occurring. I decided to start it and then drive it around the neighborhood a bit. After a few blocks it stayed started and has since then. I am no mechanic, and know very little about engines, etc., bit I just had this truck in the shop and dropped over 4k getting it fixed. I asked them to check everything and fix anything and everything they felt needed to be fixed. So I felt this issue had to be with the battery and it's charge. So I tried something one of you posted and know she runs perfectly, as she did the day before. :)