How to Remove and Replace Lower Ball Joint?

BEJ
0

Asked by BEJ May 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM about the 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

We are working on my son's 2002 Dodge 1500 5.9 2WD pickup. The lower ball joint need to be replaced. The new ball joint we purchased has a snap-ring to be intalled on the top after the ball joint is pressed in. However, the ball joint now installed has cover over the top with 4 small notched cut into it which does not allow access to the top of the ball joint. We tried to remove the cover be were unable to. Does the cover come off and it's a snap-ring under it or is this style of ball joint be replaced?

jgwgator
0

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I'm faced with the identical situation right now, and can't seem to find an answer to how to remove the lower ball joint.

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
425

from reading this, it sounds like you have the new ball joint in right? well i have a 96, and just replaced all four ball joints, i noticed that two of them came with snap rings, but there wasnt enough room to put them on so i left them out, now, not having ever worked on anything newer than my truck, i dont think you have to use the snap rings

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
425

have you replaced your ball joints yet? if not, the only thing i can suggest is swinging the hammer harder, its a pain, but if your replacing them, then you dont need to worry about being gentle on the old ones

Dan Connell
4,375

the snap rings keep your ball joint from not pulling out. ive only done them on my 4x4 ram but i burned mine out with torches