2003 Dodge Ram will not start

metalmama
10

Asked by metalmama Mar 13, 2010 at 07:02 PM about the 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

My dodge has been in the shop a number of times and only has 75,000 miles on it. Today it just will not spark/start... it seems to turn over fine. Tried to give it a jump just to be sure it was not the battery. Checked to be sure could hear fuel pump start up. Any idea what to check next... I thought maybe spark plugs but my dad says he does not think that would be it. Open to any suggestions?

Tony Brasher
70

spark and start are different if it turns over but won't start your missing one of the three ingredients to run find out wich one your missing

metalmama
10

I was able to get it started finally. I had to give it a jump because the battery had started to go dead from trying to start it " with the cable still in place for the battery" the only way I could get it to start was to hold the gas pedal down and keep the key turned to on. It took forever and sounded terrible but it finally started up so I drove it around and put in some fuel injector cleaner and new gas... hopefully it will start up again today! I am thinking maybe I got some badly mixed gas? or another issue I have is during heavy rain my truck has a tendency to sputter and hesitate even at 65 miles an hour, it has always done this but so far the shops it has been in have not fixed the problem... maybe from all the rain we have had whatever causes this was just extremely wet? Any ideas I would love to hear? I am NOT mechanically inclined so please be specific!...TYSM

mmoto68
20

See if you can pull any error codes. i had the same problem, i think it was a cam position sensor, like $43. But it could have been a couple other things