2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Won't Start

mindshare
0

Asked by mindshare Jan 31, 2008 at 08:50 AM about the 2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

This is crazy but my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with 19,500 miles on it won't start.  It won't turn over...no clicking...nothing...nada!!!  Turn the key and it appears to have full power as the radio comes on, clock is still set, headlights work, etc.  It won't turn over.  It's under full warranty and I've had it towed to the dealership twice already.  The first time they replaced the PCM (powertrain control module) and a week later it wouldn't start.  The second time they replaced the ignition switch and now two days later same thing...won't start.  It's about to get towed to the dealership for the third time.  What the heck could be going on with this?  It's not costing me money but it's very aggravating and so far I've been fortunate that I was at home when it wouldn't start so I didn't get stranded somewhere.  Anybody have any ideas?  Thanks for the help.

papa

have them replace the starter,just because is new,could still be bad.

casper271
4,965

Agreed good place to start, ask them to re-check the staring switch and also ask them to check the alignment of the "starting rod" and the inj switch at the bottum of the steering column. Keep track of everything, when you have to start paying the bill you might have a chance to get a "goodwill" warranty if they just "happen" to be able to fix it once it is out of warranty, I have a customer going throu that right now with a certain import MFG. Just given you a heads up. Best of luck and I hope this helps.

wrenchheadgal
365

Hey did you ever find out the solution to your truck not starting. I have a 2005 dodge ram with the same problem

GoldSands
350

I have the same problem with my Dodge 2005 van. Any solution

GoldSands
350

Ok I took the car to the dealer and they changed some wires in the engine. that solved the problem

GoldSands
350

I forgot to say they changed the impact sensor (recalled Item)

renotipton
130

I'm having the problem now myself. Its happened 3 times in the past 2 weeks. Dealer here has no ideal what to do. I think that it happens when i start it but release the key before it starts. Then go to start it again and nada dash lights come on radio come on it dings at me but no sound at all

powerhouse
150

I have a 2005 Dodge ram and they switched out the ignition switch at 30,000 miles now 7 days later I came out to go to work and the "lamp out" light came on, when I got out to see what lamp was out, the truck shut off and would not re-start...they towed it in and found nothing...the only code was for a fan...the when the tow truck got there it started...is this the similar pattern...is the IMPACT SENSOR an item that could be causing this?> Frustrated!

Jeff Leeper

check the PCM fuse, obviously the starter is getting power because in a car its the first thing wired to the battery in a series.

You think this is helpful.
Dan Connell
7,425

well your all gonna laugh, but this sounds kind of like the issue i had with my 96 ram, check your battery connection, what was happening to me was i had a good enough connection to keep my clock radio lights and stuff on, but id go to turn it over and it would click and die, just a suggestion.

Jeff Leeper

Im hoping the idiots at the dealership started with the battery when they were troubleshooting. if not find a real mechanic.

Dan Connell
7,425

haha yea if they missed it there idiots but who knows just a little insight

Jeff Leeper

generally when a car wont start you begin along the ignition system (battery, starter, plugs, wires, coil) and progress to the peripheral components after ruling out the most common and probable. the bare minimum the clowns at the dealership should have done is ruled out spark and fuel delivery problems before scratching their heads and giving up.

Dan Connell
7,425

haha as a backyard mechanic my self i always start like that, new vehicles hav become overly complicated and to smart for there own good, have you ever noticed how your vehicle runs better with that check engine light from an emissions code i meen really theres too many modules and controlers and electronics in vehicles today im almost 18 and i say stick with an older vehicle and youll be better off

scotttee
170

I have been having the same problem with my 2005 dodge 1500. Within the last 2 weeks, have gone out to start it and will not start, turn it over and all dash and interior lights will start flashing and will not stop. Take key out and everything just keeps flashing, have to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Have taken to the dealership twice and they just seem lost say they got it to start and cannot find anything wrong with it, but cannot explain to me what is going on with the flashing dash and will not even turn over when this happens. Just hoping someone has figured out their problem and can help me out.

Matt Lowther
200

I am having the same problem as you seem to have had. Did you ever figure out what it was? My truck just sits in the driveway dead and has for about two weeks. Turn the key and I hear the starter seleniod click then the dash goes screwy. please let me know what you found. Kenshi@bellsouth.net

Rayalyn Van Duyn
25

hey. i ahve never had this problem but my boyfriend rolled his chevy and we found that it was loose ground wires causing the same problem for him. sometimes it would start and sometimes not. but when u turn on the key, if ur dash/lights go all screwy then its probably a ground wire. there should be 5 wires to look at. make sure u check that all 5 are securely connected so there is no room for movement. if u dont know where all the ground wires are, let me know. good luck!

Cloud_Hidden
210

Same problem. Won't turn over, won't start. Tow truck driver checked battery, relays, etc. Nothing. Towed truck to shop. Dropped it off. It started! Week later, stranded me again the same way. Got a tow. Drop the truck. It started! Mechanic not sure where to start because they cannot replicate the problem.

Matt Lowther
200

I found the problem. it was the battery. it was pushing 1 (one) cranking amp out of 650. I yanked it out and had it tested on a table, bought and installed the new battery. yanked the Alternator and had that tested too (just to be sure). works great every time. Thanks for the help!

Cloud_Hidden
210

Replaced the fuel pump and a few things necessary for other reasons, but not necessarily related to the "not starting" problem. I also had them replace the battery, since it's been 5 years or so since it was last replaced, and it's a relatively inexpensive thing to do. Truck's run perfectly since. My guess is the battery, but don't have an official explanation.

Mike Estes
15

Check your starter, dont know if this will be posted twice or not had to refresh, the solenoid went in our work van, no clicking nothing! then out of the blue it would work FINE! sometimes the solenoids click sometimes they dont, you described our problem to a T and it was the starter!

Tracy Alber
45

holding the key in the start posion for a bit then hury and touch the positive then negitive if one is warm thats the bad conection

Cloud_Hidden
210

Happened again, but this time the mystery is solved. Put it in neutral and the truck started. Quick search uncovered explanation: http://www.automedia.com/cs/forums/t/289.aspx

05ram1500sd
10

I had this problem with my truck and I disconnected the battery for a few seconds (30 sec) and then connected again and the truck turned on. I am hoping my problem is just the battery's capacity cold crank amperage. You could try this it might get you out of a bind.

Jcoahran
100

I am having this problem... When your dash lights came on did your fuel Gage and battery Gage work or not? My does not didn't realize this until the 5th time it happened. I can make the truck start by powering the ASD relay with 12 volts directly then starting it . However what is the weather like when this is happening to you guys. I think this plays a big role in this problem. Please give some feedback. I have change every relay and PCM but still with this problem.

FASTYACHT
40

I had my 2007 towed to the dealership and they insisted that it had a chip in it for a remote which I never got. After 3 hours of testing they toldme I was right and that someone must have had one in the parking lot at Ingles Grocery and used it on their truck and it reset my truck cause it was close by. $200.00 later they said if it happens again just disconnect the negative on the battery and the truck computer will reset and I should be fine.

Norm2008
40

my 2008 DodgeRam did the same thing this morning...had to have it towed to the dealer..... Issued was solved...... Wireless Sensor Module had to be replaced....reads to the chip in the key.... $417.00 later...

stephaniec
170

my 2003 dodge ram will turn over but, wont start any suggestions? Ialready tried unplugging the battery for 30 seconds didnt do anything. I thought it was out of gas so I put gas in it that took the gaqs hand to the line right before empty and still wont start im starting to guess its the fuel pump but would like to see if theres something else i can do before I go there with it.

Paul Morin
5

If U hace a 318 Cu In. V8, check the Ceramic Resistor on Block. Inexpensive Part is hard for Garages to find unless they know this motor's weak point !

johnboik91
30

hey i have a 96 ram and it is the same prob everything works but it wont start it wont turn over or anything but i can start it if i connect a wire from my battery to the port in my relay how did you fix urs my dad says there is a wireing problem under the box

RodA
70

Had the same problem with my 2007. On the PCM I found a fried mosfet. Switching transistor. Replaced it at a cost of $2.64. It fried again. Truck went to the dealer and they said the instrument cluster was the cause of the problem. I told them they might just find the issue goes a little deeper. Got a call back to say the instrument cluster change did not rectify the issue and more parts are ordered. I suspect it is a PCM and instrument cluster issue. Your issue may be the instrument cluster also. Do the gauges move about randomly?

Steven Mccauley
30

Do you have a remote start or an alarm installed? Sometimes they can go haywire or if you lock the doors with the remote then unlock them with the key and try to start it the starter kill switch will not allow your truck to start. It could also be a problem with the linkage to the transmission, if it's not completely engaged in PARK it will not start.

mike_jammer
70

mine just did that what you have to do is take and insert the key. turn it one time so everything will come on. press break down and hold shifter up making sure it is in park. turn the key off. hold the brake and is should start right up. i just got done doing this. it will reset the system in the truck. if it doesnt work for you then im not sure what to tell yall. good luck.

PJackson
25

I've had to do this a time or two myself.

RodA
70

2007 dodge ram that would not turn over. Dealer found bad instrument cluster.....replaced........bad TNIP........replaced..........4 wheel drive motor not functioning..........replaced. What caused the original issue, who knows. Seems strange a four wheel drive motor is associated with TNIP issues but that was the case.

Peter Country-Welbourn
55

i had a 97 with that problem it would turn over but nothing..... i would pull the fuel relay under the hood wait 1-2 min put it back in and presto...

Rambusted
10

My 05 ram did that i turned it of and it would not restart all the gauges and lights went wacko,lol changed out the battery and the problem went away

Jcoahran
100

All things that I have done. Then a month or so goes buy and same problem returns. When I get it to the dealer it starts fine. Only way I can start it when it does this is power the asd relay directly back feeding the hole system thn hot wire to cylyniod to crank motor all done un der hood. Once started its good for a few days then it stops again.

detherth
100

i seem to be having same problem 2003 ram replaced battery cause it wouldn't start everything turns on all power ...engine cranks fuel pump turns on fuel in rails etc... just wont kick over ...the funny thing is if i go out in am its cold but will start like yesterday but went out later today and now wont start this isnt the first time this has happened and now im getting aggravated i did notice 2 days in a row it has like a power loss while driving when im pressing the gas pedal but only for the first few miles after the trucks been running

RodA
70

Turns out the issue with not even turning over was two fold. The instrument cluster was faulty and the power distribution circuit board below the fuses was also faulty. Along with this the four wheel drive motor also died at the same time. How these 3 issues relate is unknown to me. Anyway the dealer replaced the instrument cluster and fuse/circuit board box. The truck then started and ran but had no 4 wheel drive. The 4 wheel drive motor was changed and everything now worked. Drove the truck 800 km and the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer and the code read faulty instrument cluster. One more new instrument cluster installed. 3 instrument cluster in a truck that does not even have 50,000 km on it seems excessive. Would I buy another Dodge after these issues, not likely.

Angie Bostic
520

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. Unfortunately I just bought it from a used car lot a month ago. I've replaced the battery, but I'm still having problems getting it started. I turn the key on and the dash lights and stereo light up, turn the key and nothing. I would have to turn the steering wheel from left to right before to get it to start. It took over 15 minutes tonight to try and get it to start, it finally did...any suggestions on whats wrong? When I turn the key, you hear just one click and that's it...I have full power, it just wont start?

mobile
30

i have a 2002 ram van 1500 changed starter,batt,new fuel pump,tune up and when driving van 30 min it acts like it ran out of fuel. wont start for nothin.3 mech. worked on it and cant figure out

mobile
30

make sure your not having a bad transponder key problem if your key is grey your ram has a transponder black no transponder. call a locksmith if it is grey. it could be bad key or reader or both also the key could have been droped too many times and the chip in the key could me bad

will_36ground
40

I'm having the same problem. Ram will start with the command start and run fine, but when I put the key in the ignition and touch the break it stops. Try starting it with the key and no power on the dash. I changed out the ignition switch, but that didn't help. I have two key's for the truck, both don't work. Any suggestions?

exshort
10

A lot of people even mechanics over look the oveious ( ctof )check the oveious .A lot of people think battery Voltage is good! Voltage is not what makes the eng run it,s Amps. voltage is a by product . one can have voltage but no amps always check the battery which na load tester not a volt meeter

will_36ground
40

got it towed in to a dealer. It was corroded wires under the fuse box. Apparently someone had been testing the wires by putting small holes in the wires and with all this rain they ended up corroding. Had to replace wires.

orosco
60

My 2003 Dodge ram truck would not start this morning, lights were flickering all over the place. I then gave it a jump and it started for a minute and then died on me. My truck will not stay on after a jump, any suggestions out there.

canalbreath
545

+1 on this ! Same thing on my Nitro. Chap terminal connectors on battery. I wire brushed them, put some anti-oxide on them and good to go.

Tina Lucas
0

I know I'm late to this convo. My husband just had this happen also. It was a small nut on the battery connection that vibrated loose. Thank god thats all it was.

manny1958
60

Hey there same problem with my 2001 1500,dont know yet what it is but am still useing it,if you ever get stuck go under the hood and there is a wire from the fuse box that goes to your starter pull them apart and take a wire and put it on the positive terminal and the other end on the wire going to the starter, make sure your ignition is turned on,only hold the wire on till it starts i have to do this kind off a pain in the but,but works till i get it fixed.

manny1958
60

Thanks buddy you just fixed my truck it worked for me

Gmansmith
145

looking at this forum sounds to me that this is an ongoing problem should be a recall on it but sounds to me like a loose ground somewhere or bad conection

Bonzen
25

Just went through a very similar deal with my 2006 5.7. Truck starts and runs great for 3 years, then bang, go to start it and nothing. No warning of a dying battery/starter or any symptoms of anything about to go wrong. replaced the starter, still nothing. ended up needing a new battery and new battery terminals. I also cut off about an inch of corrosion off the ends of the positive and negative cables and stripped the insulation back(to get rid of the corroded parts) truck starts perfect now. I'm guessing the battery had a dead cell in it, and it just decided to go...it would act like it had a full charge, but it wouldn't hold it even for a few minutes. Plus the terminals were extremely corroded and it just wasn't sending any power down to the starter/fuse block.

Larsp
10

I had the excatly same problem on my 2006 ram 1500, after checking all the fuses i just disconnected the battery and connected it again the car started up like there has never been a problem?????????????

You think this is helpful.
chad272000
20

did you check your starter and the wires going to it? it could be the ignition switch also. my ram would not start today because of a blown fuse under the hood.

indyultra
10

My truck did the same this as many others, (gages came on, fan came on strong, but absolutly nothing at the starter, not even a "click") turned out to be the ignition wire at the solenoid (on starter) it wasnt making very good contact, so I cleaned off the conection and slid the clip on and off several time and its been working ever since. Once it wamrs up, I will change the clip. Most starters I have ever seen, have that wire on the solenoid bolted on with a small nut...why on earth they would switch such a viatl connection with a clip?? Oh well, it all works fine now.

dwightsam
90

I have a 04 dodge ram 1500 v6 auto that will not start. All the lights and radio come on but it will not start. i replaced the starter, ign switch and had the battery checked and it still will not even click. i checked all the grounds and the wire going to the starter. they seem good. i turned the key in the on position and put the wire that goes to the starter onto the positive post on the battery and nothing. should it work if i do that? is there anyone that can help me?

Dortiz
90

I have 2006 Dodge 1500, this has happen around 8 times in the last year. Everything works(lights,gauges,radio) but when turn to start, nothing! Replaced with new battery, checked alternator and fuses. This morning is happened again. Is a wire connection under the hood? in the steering column? is it fuses? can I fix it myself? any simple ideas.

Ivan Lopez
50

i have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 and the engine is dead i have abot 100.000 miles in it so i have no warranty i bought this truck use tow months ago and this cant be happening since i bought it i heard a noise coming out of the engine the guy who sold it to me said that it was the timing belt and that i should replace whenever i have time that it was gonna cost me like 150 bucks well now they charging 3500 for a use engine the mecanic said that right now he has an other client with te exact same problem couldnt be that this truck is defective or can it be something else ?

Nate_Carver
20

Neutral safety switch.. My truck wasn't registering in park.. try moving your shifter down just a tad bit and jam it back up into park

Mellissa Smith
20

I have same problem, sitting in idle it died and will not start. fuel gage wont work now, it says no bus in dash...any ideas?

amcle1961
30

Same thing with my sons truck. It's a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. It won't start, but everything lights up so battery doesn't seem to be dead. He was told it was the ignition switch and takes it in on Wed. Is there a recall on this or will we be stuck paying the 800 dollar bill? Any help would be apprceiated.

AndyB61
10

2005 2500 Ram Diesel-Batteries seem to be draining-if it sits a day or so it will need to jumped off. Issue today-get in turn key and it tried to start, turned key off and it kept trying to start. Little red light on dash came on and blinking. Also, heard a clicking/thumping noise. Found this noise to come from electrical block on to passenger side. Unhooked batteries to make it stop. When hooking up jumper cables- dead truck hooked up first then put ground cable on jumping truck-as I hooked up the Hot cable it had massive sparks. I removed it immediately. I think it is my ignition switch and/or in the column. I did do the shifter up and down and it did not do anything to help.

Nick Steel
10

I experienced the same problem with my truck with the lights flashing and not being able to get it to stop until the battery was disconnected. My fix was pretty simple, with most dodge trucks the ground cable either gets loose, dirty, or is not connected in a good grounding spot on the body of the truck. All I did was relocate where my ground was connected to and cleaned up the battery terminal and everything was back to normal this may not be the case for everyone but it definitely fixed my issue no more flashing dash lights and no starts.

You think this is helpful.
Daytona123
5

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT would not start. Step 1 Check battery power and connections. Sounds simple and it is. Test for CCA as well as voltage. Voltage alone can be misleading. If battery is ok, test voltage to the starter to determine if its a wiring problem. If voltage is OK, remove starter and have it tested. Go to parts store if unsure how to test. Starter is easy to remove on the Rams. 2 bolts and 2 wires. Remember where the wires go. Check starter and replace if necessary. Reinstall and make sure the wires are in the proper places. I accidentally put my solenoid wire on the wrong small post and that prevented it from starting. If this doesn't work, verify that the engine can still turn(manually). If it doesn't, then you have a seized engine and probably need to replace it.