Transmission

franlewis
0

Asked by franlewis Dec 09, 2008 at 01:23 PM about the 2000 Chrysler Town & Country

My husband and just purchased a 2000 Town and Country.  We feel very safe in this van and it is affordable.  The following day after we bought it we noticed a touch of transmission fluid on the ground under the van.  The gears seem to be changing normal.  I saw a recent type in someone made on their T&C and they said that the hoses leaked.  I am very hopefull that that is all that is wrong with it.

A Facebook user
15

That should be it, We recently traded in our 2001 Grand Caravan for a 2008 Town and country touring. The 01 we had that same problem, and the 01 only really had a body redesign, not much mechanical wise. All it was, was the hoses. If you have any slippage in the transmission while you own that van, get it serviced immediately because if you have not heard about chryslers transmission problems, they catch on fire sometimes and thats dangerous so, just be cautious. Good Luck.

OnlyoneLarryKaye
40

I've had the same problem, but it leaked right after startup with a cold engine. The leak was comming from the Transmission Cooler hoses at the Transmission Cooler - it must have leaked in the past and someone had changed one of the hoses. I had it assessed by a garage, and they were recommending replacing the hose - but on the estimate, it was clear that they would simply take a roll of hose, cut off the few inches needed and use that - wrong move. That's what caused my problem to begin with. The hose leading from the line to the Transmission cooler needs a bend or two - and with a straight hose, this bend creates a kink in the line. A hot hose is softer and as the motor and hoses cool, the hose closes itself off. When I start the motor, the sudden pressure cannot go through the closed hose, so it pushed by the clamps and leaked out - or it'll make a hole in the hose. Once the engine and transmission oil heat up, it softens the hose enough to open it up, letting the oil flow, and not leaking until it cools down. To fix this - I bought both new hoses right from the dealer at around $32.00 or so each. These hoses are not from a roll, they are 'Formed' with the bends already in them and are the length required for their position so that they cannot close the oil pathway inside them as the hose cools. Though I don't usually do fixes on my van, but take it to a garage, I felt this time, to understand the problem, I'd do it myself and while removing the old hose could see how a piece of hose cut off a roll and forced to bend could close itself off. Since replacing the hoses (kind of a messy job since the oil will leak out once you remove one end from the pipe... remember to top off the fluid level after you're done) I haven't had another drop of red stuff on the garage floor, and it's been an entire summer. Just remember to insist on a 'formed hose' from the dealer and remember that even 'Dealer Mechanics' may sometimes take shortcuts instead of waiting the two weeks for a 6" hose delivery.

bottled99civic
60

stopped reading halfway through that post if you need any more help www.autoanswers.webs.com can help for free! Can help anyone, do any thing, on there own "almost" but yes usually cooler lines are the weakest link in a transmission fluid leak problem...etc