O2 sensor

fcandm
0

Asked by fcandm Aug 31, 2009 at 02:07 PM about the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser

My 2006 Cruiser keeps having the O2 sensor turn on the engine light.  Besides a loose gas cap what else could be causing this.  It also is not getting very good gas mileage, only about 21mpg?

Ashley O'Connor
125

When do you refuel? Do you let it go pretty much to E before you get gas? If so that is not good for your car... You might be getting the gunky gas that is at the bottom of your tank running through your car. Now if you refuel before it drops below a quarter tank then I am not sure. But it sounds like it is probably got some gunk in it. Perhaps try that stuff that you put in your tank to help it. I'm blanking on the name of it. I have an 04 Cruiser and I have never had this problem. 21mpg seems to be the average according to fueleconomy.gov.

Steve Murphy
80

hey, when my o2 light came on, we were in the process of checking the EGR valve, but it was good. to change the spark plugs, we were unaware that we had to remove the whole intake manifold, to get at the plugs. when we did this, we smelled gas in the intake, which was being caused by the downstream o2 sensor, malfunctioning....it was completely gone, and burnt out. my mechanic friend, informed me that we needed to replace that sensor, because the PCM was now only getting data from one sensor, and dumping too much fuel into the mix, and the reason why your gas mileage is poor, is because gas is actually being wasted, and not being burned fast enough in the engine, and blowing out of your exhaust.....and you can smell the difference, when you replace the bad sensor, so your PT will have 2 again like it is supposed to. get your o2 sensor replaced, or the next time you see your intake off, you will smell gas...which is bad.

Jae Jackson
25

gas treatment use 89 or higher gas

Vickie Fitzgerald
85

I was having the same problem and started using a higher octane fuel, changed the air filter, and kept the tires inflated. Oh and driving smoothly, no qick stops and starts and less speeding helped too :-)

rabbsugar
70

We have had the O2 sensor changed in our car twice. They change the sensor so the car can pass the smog check but the sensor comes back normally 24 hours later. Once it comes back on - it just stays on. The mechanic cannot figure out why the O2 sensor keeps going bad.

DebbieE11
15

JUST REPLACE THE SENSOR IT'S ABOUT 35.00 AND IF YOU KNOW ANYONE HANDY EASY TO REPLACE

zomasur13
10

Do this, it works for my pt cruiser 04, drive your car at at 55mph whit the cruise control for 15 miles and then your car will be ready