Diagnostic Code Reader Codes

rckdlfrm
165

Asked by rckdlfrm Jul 05, 2011 at 12:27 PM about the 1995 Buick Skylark

I am looking for a list of diagnostic codes for my 1995 Buick Skylark. Are they available online anywhere, or do you have to purchase a book.

herokid672
255

Yes they are readily availible online. Try this website http://www.engine-light-help.com/buick-check-engine- light.html A book also contains all the codes and can be very helpful when doing any work at all on your car. If you are keeping it for awhile, I recommend buying the book. An extra 25 bucks can save some time and headaches.

herokid672
255

rckdlfrm
165

Unable to find 2 digit codes, that match the output of the reader. Also have not been able to find way to clear codes. Am getting 14 codes, and would like to clear and find out which ones are relevant. Have removed battery for 10 minutes at a time, but no luck. The reader I'm using will not erase codes, refers me to the owner s manual for proper fuse or other method to clear code. Does anybody have the manual or know the method?

herokid672
255

You have to unplug the battery for a good 30 to 45 minutes to clear codes. I just did it this afternoon on my 97 Trans am.

rckdlfrm
165

Thanks for the feedback. I left it unplugged for a couple hours this afternoon, along with turning on the lights, and leaving them on when I replugged the battery. I heard that tip from another site, and not specific to GM cars, but figured it couldn't hurt. Headed back to O'Reillys in the morning to see if it worked.

herokid672
255

Leaving the lights on will only drain your battery, you wont be able to start it when you want to head to oreilly's. Leaving the lights on only drains the battery and makes it go dead which still accomplishes the feat of not giving the cars computer any juice to store its memory with. Let me know how it goes.

rckdlfrm
165

The thing was to have the lights turned no when pluggin in the battery, not leaving them on. Not even sure what type of car that is supposed to work for, but i understand the concept. Anyway, no worries about leaving them on to run down the battery. Avoiding the car right now for the mower, will be heading to O'Riellys this evening as it gets a little cooler out, (hopefully)

rckdlfrm
165

While the plug under the dash would accept the diagnostic code reader, the pins that had connections were not the pins that read code. Chilton's has a picture of the pin order, 12 pin set up is F E _ _ B A _ _ _ _ L M A = GROUND B= DIAGNOSTIC TERMINAL (IF USED) - ON THIS MODEL IT IS NOT E M & L = SERIAL DATA AND F = tCC. The only two of those slots with a connection to accept the pin are A & M,, and using the old style paper clip resulted in no reading as well. B is the only diagnostic terminal and there was no connection in be to accept the pin.