How to fix BMW Z3 roof leak

Lim Sheng
15

Asked by Lim Sep 09, 2009 at 02:21 AM about the 1998 BMW Z3

I own a 1998 BMW Z3 convertible and the roof is leaking on the passenger side during heavy rains. How can I fix this?

Tom Le
565

first locate the leak. close the top and poor water on it. eventually you will find the source of the leak and replace the seal/cover.

Vince Lee
1,015

I used to own a '99 M Roadster and the same happened to me. My leak was located where the roof met the windshield frame and also the side window. You need to realign the roof to make the fit a little tighter. There are 2 screws in the roof frame for this purpose. Search the net and locate the BMW TIS (unofficial) websites and you will find specific factory instruction. Over time, the rubber seals shrunk, the tolerance changed and needed adjustment, thats all.

Lim Sheng
15

Hi, Vince. Thanks for the helpful reply and the tip. I had just taken delivery of the car from the dealer when the leak occured in heavy rain. I think the roof wasn't seated properly onto the frame at that time i took delivery and the downpour happened soon after. I opened and re-seated the roof and it has not leaked again so far during moderate to heavy rain. I'm still waiting for the cats&dogs condition that I encountered the first time around just to be sure... Thanks again.