Why are tail lights staying on constantly?

Bevy63
5

Asked by Bevy63 May 09, 2013 at 09:47 AM about the 1965 Ford Thunderbird

1965 Thunderbird (standard model)...
The TAIL LIGHTS are on constantly even when all light switches are in the "off" position.
Probable cause or repair suggestions?????

oldtimer37
455

the 65 has the sequential taillights and if you have the original module it may be shorted out. The unit is in the trunk by the back seat. Check it first. If it is bad, you may be able to find an original but there are third party solid state units today that eliminate this problem.

AutoOneMobile
15

"Short to power" somewhere in the tail-light circuit, Start at the tail-lights in the rear and if you can trace the wires back to the fuse or relay looking for burnt or open spots along the wire.

oldtimer37
455

Sorry, if they were shorted, they would not work at all and blow a fuse. It is more than likely in the flasher assy.

AutoOneMobile
15

If it was in the flasher assy then wouldn't the tail-lights flash with the turn signals? And i mean short the power not short to ground, like feedback from another power source along the wire somewhere. But you could just as well be right so i would check that too.

oldtimer37
455

I don't know if you have ever seen an original 65 Bird flasher unit but it is NOT solid state and is actually a good piece of electronic engineering. It is possible that the flasher circuit could have an open circuit and not flash but just keep the lights on.