Why is my check engine light on? Why wont my truck hold break fluid?

cherikaw
65

Asked by cherikaw Mar 03, 2013 at 08:39 AM about the 1988 Ford Ranger

I have an 88 ranger 4X4 6 cylinder automatic trans. I got side swiped a couple weeks ago. only seemed to be cosmetic but im starting to wonder. Master cylinder is dry. doesnt leave puddles when parked. While driving down the road when my truck shifts it will idle down really low. Only when te check engine light is on. It sounds awful and like its not shifting at the right time.

51,035

To find out why your check engine light is on, go to the parts store and get the codes read. Write down the numbers and start a new question. --- Your brake fluid is either leaking out of the rusted lines or is getting sucked into the engine from the booster. Pull the hose off the booster to see if it is wet inside.

cherikaw
65

Parts store told me they wasnt sure how to check it. I will go check the booster thank you

87,955

FInd another parts store like Autozone and tell them you have a check engine light on. the will scan it for free and their scanner should pull one or more 4 digit codes.

DavidH25

Tom got it. If whoever you took it to does not know how to read codes then you went to the wrong place and got, well I won't do name calling and be derogatory about the guy, but let's just say uninformed

gitonwitit
75

i doubt autozone can read an obd I system. if you don't see any brake fluid, then there's a good possibility that the rear wheel cylinders are leaking. take it to a reliable shop and have it checked out, and repaired. my philosophy is, if you don't know what you're doin, then don't mess with it.

DavidH25

Sure they can. IF you get the right guy. I agree gitonwitit that some of the parts store people are not educated by Autozone on how to do it, but some of them do know how. It's all about getting the one that does. The OBDI code readers they sell and use are car specific, they come with a different set of wires to plug in to different kinds of ports going as far back as 1982, until OBDII became standard in 1996, and they came out from under the hood to the cabin. Can't we post pictures anymore? I have an image but there is no more "add a photo" thing

DavidH25

The question about posting images was not aimed at you, git, kinda thinking out loud, but maybe you do know? Anybody?

51,035

Bacon Bob mentioned that we can't post pictures in replies anymore. Must have been costing too much money or something.

DavidH25

Thanks tenspeed I was wondering if it was just me, I have posted copyrighted pictures, unknowingly and thought admin pulled my option

DavidH25

Just got word it's a software glitch and will get fixed