What all do you have to do to put a 302 in a ranger will it bolt up to a 2.9 trans.

AlabamaDangerranger
65

Asked by AlabamaDangerranger Sep 25, 2007 at 11:54 AM about the 1987 Ford Ranger

i was woundering if any one had iformation on how to put a 302 in a Ranger or bronco 2

dvigano
8,865

Hi AlabamaDangerRanger, I don't have the instructions on how to do this, but I wouldn't recommend it anyway. Each engine is best suited for a particular type of transmission - not just one you have lying around the garage. If this is still on your todo list, I would recommend that you shop around for another transmission to pair up to your 302. Hope this helps!

snake42787
275

Ya you probelly could get a bracket or mounting plate made so the engine and trans go together, but the trans is made for a smaller engine, so puttin a bigger v8 block engine up to that trans may cause problems cause of the power and stress the engine is puttin on the trans.

meanoldmoe
685

Your best bet , is to change the engine and transmission at the same time . The V-8 will have too much power for the 2.9l transmission........besides I am not sure the 2 are compatible . Try using and T-5 manual transmission ( if originally a standard was in the truck) or a C-4 automatic transmission if you want an automatic. There are kits available for V-8 swaps in Rangers( engine mounts , oil filter kits , wire harnesses , etc ) , and some helpful sites too . Try www.therangerstation.com

Cody Reis
95

you are going to blow your tranny apart with the torque a 5.0 puts out

Kenny Hosmer
75

i'm pretty sure it wont bolt up but the T-5 or C$ arent too ahrd to find replacements. Here's a good site about swapping v8's into rangers "http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.html" and rangerpowersports.com has some good info too

Kyle Johnson
45

The best transmission to bolt to the 302 is a c4 with a shift kit, C4 fits 351w 351c and 312/302/289/262

Josh Connell
35

its a really easy thing to do all you really need to do is find a 302 from that same year about and the brain from the same thing perferably a truck and it should plug right in and on the trans i would suggest upgrading it to the c5manual cause even if the 2.9's trans will fit you will just rip it apart cause its use to maybe half that amount of power and a manual on the 302 is just gonna be fun

Dave Wilson
155

here are some good tools, they list which engines share bellhousing bolt patterns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns / http://web.archive.org/web/20030907134826/http://www.mercurycapri.com/technical/trans/general/tbhi.html

Justin Wallace
105

A friend of mine put a 302 in an 88 ranger, to make it fit in and bolt up he had to put a 2in. body lift on it. But you will need to get a transmission because a 2.9 and a 302 have different bolt patterns

Peter Lee
55

You probably have an A4LD auto tranny and it is not the best candidate for a 302 heart. It's jokingly called "About 4 Long Drives." Swapping to a clutched system is a pain in the ass, and a T5 is work if ou wanna go that far. If you are asking this type of question, you probably are not suited to fabricate brackets to make transmission crossmembers or motor mounts from steel, etc for a swap. Wiring, OBD I or OBD II electronic systems, oxygen sensors and catalytic converters, custom headers, new bellhousing & plates, slip yokes & driveshafts, and a bigger radiator are a few minor things. (Others include how will you run a bigger radiator & mount it, and reroute all new fuel lines, and ignition & spark (distributor, carb). There are power on/off "hot" lines that need to be run with the electrical. Alternator & accessories. How will you run the power steering? You cannot use the old steering gearbox. Will you run without power steering? How will you fbricate and weld new shafts with your steering? You have an inverted "Y" linkage w/ the pitman arm from the gearbox. Are you going to clutch the new cooling fan or have it always keyed on? You'll need to remove the A/C and reroute heater components. You have a 7.5" rear axle, and will blow if you don't baby it with the new 302. Your 1st generation ranger only has about 130 hp @ 2400 rpm. It's not meant to handle the 302 either. Are you actually going to do this, or were just curious and fancying the idea or a bigger engine? It sounds like you don't have the experience to do this moderification. The least you can do is use a search button next time. People have asked this quesiton before.

Aaron Pulaski
65

with the 302 you gotta buy the mounting brackets from a junk yard off any ford that had the 302 stock. Ur gunna need a T5 tranny to handle the power from the engine to put down on the road. Also might wanna change out the rear axle to a 8.8 while ur at it!

badbronco2
20

you will have to have motor mounts made for the swap a swap oil pan filter relocater kit and custom made headers and a tranny adapter you can get all this in a kit from broncograveyard .com or jamesduff.com also i live in alabama by the way war eagle!!

badbronco2
20

the tranny in a ranger or bronco2 will handle 235 hp and 275tq a stock 302 pushes 195 hp at the crank and 210 tq the tranny in them both will handle it as long as you dont beef up the motor or try to break it or they wouldnt make stuff to swap it !!

Adam Niemeyer
185

no you can't plainly put the a4ld tranny is not strong enough, you would blow it as soon as you put it in gear, there are several locations where you can get v8 swap info for your ranger, www.therangerstation.com is a good place to start

allpedal
20

There are tons of people putting the 302 and other v8's in their Ranger. Check out www.rangerpowersports.com in their v8 section to see all of the swaps.