Oil Pressure, Amp, and Temp Gauge

MrCowboy3
15

Asked by Oct 10, 2007 at 10:18 PM about the 1986 Ford Ranger

I'm trying to install an aftermarket Oil Pressure, Amp, and Temp Gauge in my 1986 ford ranger 2.9L V6. I've installed the temp just fine. The oil pressure guage I CAN NOT figure out where to put in my engine block! HELP! WHERE IS THERE A SPOT FOR IT??

Also, I have it all wired for the lights and what not and that all works fine. However, with the Amp gauge every time I connect it to a live 12v source only when the ignition is turned on; justs spikes the gauge and then blows the fuse. WHAT WIRE SHOULD I TAP TO RUN THE AMP GAUGE?

Thank you very much for your time on this. Any help is greatly appreciated! God bless!

Cowboy

stashley
35

MrCowboy3 Assuming that you have bacic electrical knowledge and that the line your amp guage is in series with is all installed correct,you must make sure your amp guage is rated(in amps)higher then the line your spliced into.ie;if your in series with a 20 amp line and you have a 15 amp rated guage, this will not do. Keep in mind your not installing a volt meter(a guage that is typically wired in parallel to a a voltage source).Instead you are installing a current measuring device in its simplistic form providing it is an analog not digital guage. An amp guage(wired in series)rather than a volt guage (wired in parallel) has to be installed within(again in series)with one single power line of your selection to monitor the current(or amps)traveling through that specific line (typically a 12v line).If I may suggest the damage that can be caused$$$$$ by an improper installation is not worth at least in my opinion the $ of going a mechanic for a proper install and peace of mind knowing the integrity of your electrical system has not been comprimised stashley

MrCowboy3
15

Stashley Thank you for the imput on the amp guage. I'll check the specs on my gauge to insure I'm taping the right wire. However, do you have any idea on where I might find a spot to put in the oil pressure line on my engine block? cowboy

MrCowboy3
15

Stashley I looked at the gauge. It's a mechanical gauge that starts on zero and can read down to -120 and up to +120. Cowboy

MrCowboy3
15

Stashley Also, the gauge has imprinted at the bottom "DC. AMP" Cowboy

MrCowboy3
15

Stashley Well, I figured out how and successfully installed my ammeter! Now I'm just down to the Oil Pressure Gauge. Does anyone know where you can put the oil line into the engine block?? Cowboy P.S. The instruction note on the ammeter installation instructions: "We strongly recommend a professional installs or assists in the installation of the ammeter." I'm by far no professional, but I installed it properly and it works perfect, as it should!!

stashley
35

Mrcowboy3 Good job on the amp guage.As far as the oil preassure guage, I do not have pearls of wisdom for that. stashley