Dump Body

rednekdave
0

Asked by rednekdave Feb 08, 2013 at 10:02 AM about the 1988 Ford F-350

I have an 88 F350 1 ton dump truck and need wiring diagram for the dump body motor, specifically where the ground is for this unit. When its used the hot wire smokes and sucks the battery dry and vehicle stalls

judge_roy

JAM UP~ look carefully to see what's holdin' up the show, for example a bolt gets in there and you're expecting the lift motor to simply cut thru the obstruction---remove this obstructor.

51,085

The wire smokes because there are too many amps. Your ground is good. Look for a pinched wire, missing insulation, damage, etc. Obviously the wire has no fuse and this is one time that "short circuit to ground" can be said correctly.

Mike Lewis
35

Check resistance too. High resistance = low voltage = high amp draw.

51,085

High resistance Mike? Have you ever heard of the electrical formula wheel? High resistance never equals high amp draw. Physically impossible. --- Resistance is the the term for resistance to current flow. --- High resistance never equals low voltage either. Voltage is determined by the power source. Resistance has nothing to do with how many volts are in the battery in this case.

judge_roy

I can remember back in the day always questioned 'resistance wires' always thought why not just make it straight wire?...as it turns out high resistance does equal high voltage...somehow, don't know how. It you are tryin' to run with just straight non-resistance wires, the high voltage spark will never get to the plug. Don't ask me why perfesser, just the way things are today in the big city.

judge_roy

did rednekdave fish out the thing that was holdin' up the show, or are we being scientific brakin' down those electrons for analysis?

judge_roy

oh yes. the ground. Black cable from the battery goes to the chassis, and to the motor on your equipment. It is a large gauge (so called 1/0 ga.) and would not like to be issued a smaller, many conductor wire. This is what is smoking. lovely toasted vinyl. everyone's favorite. Okay, I get it. rewire with 1/0 battery cable.

judge_roy

tenspeed has a point with a breaker, so you don't need to use the fire extinguisher. You've got to rethink you wiring redneckdave. If the one battery can't hack it, possibly another one dedicated to the lift only? definately a resettable breaker instead of a fuse link, will be a little more forgiving. Need help shopping for your automotive electrical components, we can shop for you. if you are at a loss for resources-

Danfinn123
10

Sounds like the battery wire its self might be bad, even to it may look good some times the wire stands them self in the wire insulation can start to break down after a while. If that does not work try your starter it may be bad.