1978 f250 transfer case won't engage

bigruss
0

Asked by bigruss Dec 26, 2012 at 07:54 PM about the 1978 Ford F-250

MrBlueOval
2,835

Without having any details about the truck whether it's automatic or manual locking hubs and whether you have an automatic trans or a manual trans, I really can't diagnose the exact problem but a few things you could try is make sure the hubs are locked in(front driveshaft should turn when engaged), try unlocking them and relocking them. You could also try backing up the truck slowly while you try shifting into 4wd. Sometimes that works. Also sometimes those old NP-204 and NP-205 transfer cases are just stubborn and you really have to push hard on the stick(it's a short stick and not much leverage) I don't know if you are stuck in 2wd or 4wd or neutral but starting in neutral and going from there might also help. I have a 79 F-250 4x4 with an NP-204 and I can remember it being hard to shift sometimes I don't take it off-road anymore so I really don't use the 4wd like I used to do.. You could try those ideas and if it still doesn't go into gear go to ford truck enthusiasts forum at http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums and ask there but definitely leave more details about your truck in your question. or at Blue Oval Trucks forum at http://blueovaltrucks.com/ Good Luck. Kenny/MrBlueOval

DavidH25

I have a 1978 F 250 and manual locking hubs were the only ones available back then, I bought it new. Try rocking it back and forth gently, from granny low to reverse a few times. I imagine you have a few miles on that old truck, I am on my second transfer case now, the first lasted 85,000

Tyler Harris
0

&8 ford f25 automatic gas stays in gear when Coming to a complete stop and stays that way. I let the break of and it drives in the gear its in without me pressing the gas. Whats wrong?

Tyler Harris
0

1978