what aftermarket modifications can you add to get better gas milkeage

rramey
0

Asked by rramey Dec 15, 2010 at 07:09 PM about the 1989 Ford F-150

302 fuel injection engine

papa

not much,run a can of seafome injector cleaner in a full tank of gas,is great stuff,will clean the injectors,be a lightfoot on the gas peddle.

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

you can get a coldair intake, headers, you can do a custom exhaust, aftermaket throttle body, and its not exactly cheap to continue doing everytime you fill up yer tank, but buy gas treatments more often, mite try buying higher octane gas, i know if i run premium in any of my vehicles it helps a little

papa

he is wanting to try to improve his milage,not trying to up his hp.I did not say to do the treatment at every fil up eather.

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

i know what he wants to do, you obviouslt dont understand that with all those modifications you gain both mileage and power, when you let your motor breathe better it gets more mileage, its not working as hard to pull in air and fuel and get rid of it faster, i know your a certified mechanic and, im not arguing with pointlessly again, but if you read the advertisement for all those modification for hp, they tell you that they help improve mileage, i know this is a ford club, but i have a 96 dodge 1500 w/360 which has oversize injectors, a jet pcm chip, aftermarket exhaust, k&n cold air, and it gets better mileage than my moms 06 expedition

Ronny Shears
55

kelly is right, though it is a dodge, and i cant help you there. HP and mileage often come hand in hand.

papa

yes I know the cold air induction will work great,but the main problem is being a 89 they were not built for gas milage like today,s vehicles are,being a F 150,a heavy truck the best it will get is 12 15,city,16 18 highway.I also dont want a argument,and being a what 21 year old vechile it has to be worn out,and the crap they call gas dont help matters eather.he has what he has,not much he can do to it,your suggestions would be great on todays cars.

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

yeah yeah yeah i know, i been kickin myself ever since i bought it in 08, im a true ford guy at heart, i even sold the damn thing and ended up getting it back, though i didnt have to pay for anything to get it back, the guy was just an idiot, but hey, i only paid 2500, sold it for 4000 and i got it back for 0000 lol but if money was a little easier to come by id have me a good ole ford right now, i hate having people think im a dodge guy, ive even got ford emblems everywhere in it, i wear a ford hat, and under where it says dodge on the tailgate, i wrote SUCKS!! lol

Ronny Shears
55

someday you'll get to have a real truck

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

oh ive got a real truck, three infact, fixin to get a forth, just none of them are street legal, '79 f150 with with a built 460 12" lift, 42's a '73 f250 with an obnoxious 390 and zoomies, a '67 f100 built for drags, and the newest is a '76 f150 on a 1 ton frame, 15" lift and 44's, so obviously i know what a real truck is, i just cant bring them out on the pavement without getting tickets lol

Ronny Shears
55

touché no i am immensely jealous

papa

I call BS.

Ronny Shears
55

do you even have an F-150? what are you doing here?

papa

yea fat boy,got a 70 Ranger XLT & 71 Ranger XLT,any more questions.

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

ok pal, go to my profile and you will see the blue 79 stepside, its an older pice, youll see the 67 next to it, i dont have a pic of the 73, then go to my uncles profile (rocky wisecup) and youll see the other 76 i was talking about

papa

big deal.pal.

Ronny Shears
55

so they're all better than your rangers, hence the F-150 group. there is a reason it's specific. so why dont you just join a group that will accept you for your lesser trucks

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

im not on his side, but i think he might be talking about f-150's the older ones were called rangers, but your right, if theyr not tru f-150s then he need to join a differant club

papa

you both got a good show going but your tent has a leak in it.you both can K M A R W I S.

Ronny Shears
55

... not sure how to respond to that, i thought we were all adults here

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

yeah, idk whaats goin on either, but if that so called C.G. wants to be a crybaby then let him, ive tried and tried to not be an asshole on these conversations but apparently hes really sensative and would rather argue with everyone cuz hes soooooooo smart, well i got news for you pal, shut up

papa

neither of you 2 have shone that you both know nothing about mechanics,so until you do,sit down shut up and watch the pros here.I dont think eather of you are even ranked here.go to the top 100 here,see where I am compaired to u 2 idiots.

Keelan Higginson
165

i will agree with MR. CarGurus here... not like he is boasting or anything... but the guy sure KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!!! and I will back him up on that! so go start your own little group and stop frusterating the people who are trying to help other people...

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

i know hes actually a smart guy, but it pisses me off when guys like him and you dont realize exactly whats going on. were trying to help another truck owner get more mileage and you guys wanna do is argue like little girls, theres a diferance between book smart and actually knowing what your doing, and apparently you two read more books than actually go out and work on the vehicles themselves

Rick Killam
95

My dad had a 70 F-100 Ranger EDT and a 73 F-150 Explorer EDT. The only diference between the two was the towing capacity and GVW. The F-100 was awesome if you wanted to get somewhere fast. The 302 was also rather good on fuel. The F-150 could haul anything. It had as much torque power loaded as it did empty. But, the 351M was not so good on gas. All said they were both good trucks and I consider them both f- series trucks. Just my opinion.

Keelan Higginson
165

alright buddy... first of all im a journeyman heavy duty mechanic working for canadian pacific railway... and have been for 15 years... not to mention the fact that i used to work for toyota for 10 years before that... ohh and i also enjoy taking my cars and trucks to the local drag strip and local track to race... so i think i do a heck of alot more than just read books... and who said i was arguing in the first place... so before you start assuming things get your info straight before you start making yourself look like a tool.

papa

Thanks friend,dont let this punk get to you,he is a child that dont know anybetter.if you look at the original post,their is no answer to his question QUOTE, TO GET BETTER GAS MILKEAGE. and he talk about my spelling.

Keelan Higginson
165

now to get back to the topic... cold-air intake, new catalytic converter, new muffler, new fuel filter, new plugs, run some seafoam through your gas tank when you fill it. other than that you can do fuel pump, injectors, distributor, wires... all in all it will help the engine BUT if your engine is wearing internally then this will do not a whole lot to your mileage due to too much drag on moving parts which will cause your gas mileage to go out the window... what i tell my friends and their kids is to always do your research to make sure what you are doing will actually help.

Keelan Higginson
165

ya no problem. just helping out another helpful skilled mechanic. well you dont have to be an english major to be a mechanic these days...

papa

that is just about what I told him in my 6th post,then the junk started.

papa

RIGHT.

Keelan Higginson
165

well he can either kindly take our advice or keep asking the same thing and continue getting the same answer. its his choice.

papa

you are right.

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

k so since i havent been on in a day or two, apparently ive missed a few things, and as ive said before in our past discussions, i rfespect the fact that youranolder guy, and that you do actually know quite a bit more than me, and i know you do, im only 21, but you honestly cant tell me that this kid wanting better mileage is going to have the spare money to just go out and get a new CAT and muffler and a couple other things that are just going to go out down the road, now i understand that some places require that you have a CAT and muffler, but if you guys are really any sort of mechanics then you already know that a vehicle will get better mileage with out the CAT, now if your area requires that you have one, then just hollow it out and leave it on your exhaust, as long as the cops cant stick their stupid tst rod all the way to the CAT then youll be fine, i drove all over colorado, through oklahoma and am now in austin texas and i didnt have one problem and i barely have any exhaust, obviously you dont care what i do. and as far as being ranked on here, i reall dont give a rats ass what this computer ranks me, it doesnt prove anything to any one, well except maybe to you guys, ive been working on mine and my dads vehicles since i was 8, from my moms 85 bronco, all the way up to her 06 expedition, my dads had numerous fords since then, as of right now hes got 92 1 ton that i am rebuilding the motor in, and an 02 power stroke that im doing some top end work on, and i dont need a computer to tell me what to, i didnt have to go to college to learn any of it, and yet, im doing everything as though it was in a shop, now with this being said, im going to be the bigger man and say, lets stop fighting over stupid B.S. its not getting us anywhere, and i do apologize

Ronny Shears
55

you see, you have to understand that we're young and may not know as much you, although we may have tried things that you haven't and found positive results. we know you're a bright fella, but you have to give us a chance too, also i feel that your calling me fatboy was immature and uncalled for.

Keelan Higginson
165

were not saying that you guys dont know anything... were just saying what would be the most logical way to do things while not damaging your engine... because if you start doing too many crazy things to an older engine then things can go south really quickly and may cost you an engine... so our answers are taking that into effect. were not trying to be rude. we just wanna help just like you and when our answers conflicted things hit the fan way too quickly. i apologize if i was rude in any way. were just looking further down the road for you guys.

papa

understand,we have already done the things that you are trying,thing is some work,some dont,we been their,as for the name calling,start at top of post,read who started what.

Ronny Shears
55

i never once made any direct insult toward you.

Robert Desrosiers
95

K&N air intakes, larger headers, borla exhaust, open it up to let the breath.

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

ok well now that weve all the arguing out of our systems, hopefully this guy has come up with a couple answers to solve his problem, and yes you were right some things work and some dont, but thats why people are joining these clubs, to get help, but i guess fromo now on, lets just suggest things to one another and come upon an agreement, things will go alot better

Ronny Shears
55

finally, proof that not everyone on the internet is a single minded asshole!, hurray for us!GO FORD!

papa

i sweare you sound gay.

Chase Sutherland
3,715

and you appear illiterate.

Ronny Shears
55

And I thought we were friends now...

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
465

well i guess arguing with everyone is the fun thing to do these days, im not going to hate him/them but i guess if he/they wants to argue all the time, i spose thats better than being ignored? maybe im wrong, again, oh well

papa

Chase we know you a smart a$$,dam cant anybody take a joke here ,dam.

nosmo
1,555

just replace the spark plugs and oil more freequent, put an after market acold air intake, an after markat exhaust , and add a bully dog system to your car . That will add beter gas milage to your ride.