1988 F-150, 302 eng, A/C will not accept freon, compressor kick 0n and off. What do I do?

toneyf
0

Asked by toneyf Jun 26, 2012 at 09:44 PM about the 1988 Ford F-150

My F-150 will not accept Freon, compressor kicks on and off. I have the adapter hooked up to the large
fitting by the A/C dryer. The A/C switch is on and the blower on high.

aztec626bf
8,915

Are you adding R12 to the system?

toneyf
0

No, I'm using 134A

aztec626bf
8,915

You might have to start over and get the system evacuated. You can get to a point when you have too much 134 in the system. When this happens the compressor will cycle on and off. 134 has to be added by weight not volume.

toneyf
0

I didn't get any Freon in it, I guess I will have to take it to a shop to have the system evacuated all I have is the kit to put in Freon.

aztec626bf
8,915

Depending on where you live about $100 to have system evacuated and recharged.

toneyf
0

ok,thank you, I had bought 3 cans of r134a at Ollie's for $6.88 a can.

OJ
7,160

Not sure about the 88 but here goes. The low side (suction) fitting should have either a blue or black cap. It sounds like you are at the right spot, near the drier/accumulator, just make sure you are not hooked up to the high side, as the can or line could explode. You'll get anything in on the pressure side. Refrigerent in an a/c system doesn't simply leak out. My 96 will still freeze you out without any replacement in 16 years. You could be throwing a hundred bucks away by simply charging the system if there is a leak. Have the a/c shop fully evacuate the system and have them hold the vacuum for at least 90 minutes to determine if there is a leak. There is a good possibility there is a small leak in the system. A quarter century is a long time for an a/c system to work without the need of any replacement parts. Good Luck.

cheap
155

i would agree with OJ, time kills my 75 was pretty good for a long time, its pointless to add to it, the pump seal is shot, look around the comprssor pully and see if its oily that a sign your maybe just having cool air temporarily until it is all gone

8,495

In 88 they used R-12. Without properly converting the system you risk damaging the compressor.

OJ
7,160

Yep, forgot about that. Have to do the conversion. Just a week or so ago the government ordered manufacturers to cut production of R22 by forty percent which doubled it's price overnight. Even if R12 can still be had, it may be two expensive to obtain, and probably impossible in the small one pound cans.

Hector Irizarry Duval
1,795

i have evacuated a couple of systems and filled them with r134, to convert the system you have to change some parts anyway, so why not use the existing until they break? so i used the existing parts and they are still working great for about 2 years know.

desertreaper
40

did you check your o rings going to the evap canister and the a/c pump itself sometimes dryrotted o rings causes them to fail, and or not recharge. 92 f150 302 5.0 interceptor heads E4OD automatic.

rjr100
40

R12 systems have a low pressure switch screwed on to the Accumulator ( Dryer). You can jump that by unplugging it & jumping the system at the plug with a paperclip, If the compressor runs, check your pressures ( lowside should be about 50 - 70 lbs & the Highside should not go over about 250 - 275 lbs ) depending on the outside temperature.Do not run the system too long with the jumper in because if there is too much freon in it, It will build too much pressure in the high side & possibly blow the lines. If the compressor does not stay on with the jumper in, there could be a problem with the high pressure switch if equipped with one. Good Luck. RJR100

ebee
0

I have an 88 f150 changed the dryer orifice tube and pressure switch and all necessary orings charged with 2 ounces of oil 3.4 pounds of r134 works great.