1986 Ford F150 Carburator

funstond1
0

Asked by funstond1 Oct 04, 2011 at 11:35 AM about the 1986 Ford F-150

I have a 86 Ford 6 cylinder with a 2 barrel carburator which needs replacing. The local Ford
dealer says they are unavailable. Is there an after market solution? It seems that most are one
barrel carbs.
I assume if I have to change the carb model I would also have to change the intake manifold.

Colin Rivet
2,395

i have a friend that got a rebuild kit for his 6 at are local napa/uap dealer last year,i dont know if it was ordered or if it was old stock but he found it there. i hope this helps.

papa

you can get a rebuilt one at any parts store.

OrLackThereof
1,285

Are you *sure* it's carbureted and not a CFI setup? CFI *looks* like a carburetor but it's actually a type of fuel injection that Ford only used for a few years and it consists of a body with throttle butterflies in the same way a carburetor is set up, but with a Central fuel injector that fires down through the intake. CFI was inefficient, made very little power, aftermarket product support is almost zero, and the first year of CFI had a problem with uneven fuel distribution through the manifold so the solution was to replace the throttle body-to-manifold gasket with one with an "eyebrow" partially obstructing airflow to the rear of the manifold to equalize the system. It may very well be that you've got a CFI system and that's why you can't find your part. Remove the air cleaner and look down through it...if you're seeing wires in the middle of the body as well as wires going into and out of the unit, that'd be CFI. Hope this helps you out some.

funstond1
0

As it turns out it was a one barrel carb. That is what I originally thought, but I deferred to the "automotive technician". What do I know I am only a veterinarian that worked in a garage during high school and university. Go figure!! Anyway originally I took it in for a leak which I suspected was caused by the float. They finally rebuilt the carb after rechecking it and discovirng it was a one barrel. However,they told me that the trottle shaft was badly worn and that they could not repair. The carb still drips from the shaft. I have looked aon line and talked to wreckers. Everyone seems to suggest I fix my original carb rather than change it.

funstond1
0

No as it turns out it is a one barrel carb which is what I originally thought. The garage took anouther look and found that I was crrect and then proceeded to rebuild the carb. However it still drips from the throttle shaft. They tell me that that can no be repaired.

papa

it wont do any good to rebuild it,it will still drip,best advice ig get a new or used one fron a salvage yard.

mach37
10

A decent machine shop should be able to bore out and rebush the throttle shaft. Might cost more than you want to spend, but it can be done.

kjm124
0

I just bought a carb for my 86 f150 6cyl for $220 at gauranteed carburator. You really should check them out online gauranteedcarburator.com my new carb looks and runs like new. Just awsome.