I have a 1978 F-150, Value?

Mikes78
85

Asked by Mikes78 May 06, 2008 at 01:45 PM about the 1978 Ford F-150

I have a 1978 F-150 Ranger 4x4. Short bed, Trailer Special.Step bumper,Receiver hitch. Factory lockout hubs,351m 4v New Holley carb,Edelbrock intake.C6,PS,PB, Factory air. Original interior in excellent shape. New base clear in factory dark brown.10.50x33 tires on American racing aluminum wheels.Deluxe Chrome including fenderwells.55,936 original miles. I also have the original wheels and hubcaps, intake,breather,etc.Runs and drives like new. What is it worth?

25,745

Hard to say since it has been so modified. Might try asking $5,000 for it and see what you get.

Mikes78
85

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, not a speck of rust. Sanded it down myself before the paint job. I have been told that this is very rare.

Ty Elliott
725

i was gonna offer a dollar for it since it's a ford but i'll make it 5 dollars because you've added alot

Larry Thibert
1,040

let's be honest here...it's a 30 year ford...i think a ton of scrap is in the neighborhood of $75.00...what does the truck weigh...

Justin Wagner
115

try kelley blue book www.kbb.com

Mikes78
85

Scrap? You must be a Chevy or Dodge fan to say such a thing about a REAL truck. I also have a 97 Ranger XLT with 202,000 on it with the original engine , does not use oil and I have spent only for tires, brakes (once), never had the clutch replaced and looks like it has maybe 30 grand on it. And it still averages 25.6 miles to the gallon on gas. So don't be giving me crap about Ford trucks.

Kyle Mitchell
35

I would say around 4,000 considering the low miles maybe 5000 if you throw in all the original wheels and parts

Ty Elliott
725

wooooooooooooooooooowww a ford ranger a real truck? LMAO try driving a full size truck... rangers are just big cars

Mikes78
85

Now,Now. I know for sure now your a Chevy man. Anyone who knows trucks knows that it is not a real truck unless it has Ford wrote on it. I wasn't talking about the Ranger as the real truck, I was talking about the 78.

Ty Elliott
725

anyone who knows anything about any vehicles knows anything with Ford on it.. is scrap.. F.O.R.D = Filthy Old Rolling Dumpster

Adam Morgan
4,065

FORD=Fix Or Repair Daily FORD=Found On Road Dead FORD=Fucked-Over Rebuilt Dodge am i missing any? I use to know a Dodge one or two, but I only remember the ford ones... They're shorter and easier to remember, plus I had a Ford that was a P.O.S. And my old mans old F-150 was a P.O.S. Anyone know any for the other brands while we're here?

Mikes78
85

I give up! you guys are ganging up on me. Actually the worst vehicle I ever owned was an 82 Toyota pickup. I have never driven a more loud rough riding piece of junk in my life. I hated everything about that truck and couldn't wait to get rid of it. And everyone claims the Japanese can do no wrong. There are good and bad with all brands to be truthful.

Adam Morgan
4,065

To be honest Toyota's reputation is built on a lie. You gotta remember their reputation was primarily built on the Corollas and Camry's of the 90s, unlike Honda who's reputation is from the 80s... Many forget though that these cars were design and built in GM facilities... There is a reason Geo's are so similar to these cars. Fun thing is you can actually (if you look hard) find a Toyota Cavalier or a Chevy Corolla... Had a buddy in high school who had a Toyota Cavalier. As for their trucks... I'm sorry but they basically stamped what they are on the back of the sport pickups... TRD... atleast they tell you in advance. And I agree there is something wrong with all the brands, Ford gets the brunt of it because Chevy and Dodge fan boys gang up on 'em more than each other... I think it's also annoying they claim to be the best selling pickups... Granted I think both Chevy and Dodge would win if they pulled their trick 'The Ford F-series... I.E. all there models of trucks' Can't even trust the Consumer guides anymore as for reliability. They base how good a car is on the warranty...granted the reliability of a vehicle is reflected in how much a company is willing to back it, but it's just as easy to not back it just in case. I dunno the whole industry is a bit screwy in the end...I need a new hobby... My $0.02

Zachary Scott
45

Don't feel bad man I am a Dodge man myself but these boneheads in here are just making a bad name for us other Dodge owners by running their mouths. Save it for the track. I hate all of Fords new stuff but their old trucks aren't all that bad. A 78 Ranger is a full-size isn't it if I am not mistaken.

Donna McCuaig
15

FORD = First On Race Day I'm not sure what your truck is worth but it's sure worth alot more than what ever a ton of scrap is worth! Why don't you get it appraised? Oh and by the way, the Chevy trucks DO get lumped in with the GMC trucks when they talk about how good they sell. GMC = Garage Man's Companion

Adam Dentinger
435

no, no, no FORD = Fucked on race day.

Donna McCuaig
15

Hey, are you all forgetting what the original question was???? This is just turning into a war of makes. I'm sure there are other places to do that!

Tyler Kremer
15

you gotta remember just b/c you did all that shit to it doesn't mean that its worth a ton but i drive a ford and i know that they arre bad ass so i wanna say maybe 2,500 becuase of the year

Mikes78
85

Well what I am thinking is that it has only 55000 miles and I am only the second owner and it is mostly original with no rust. Short bed 4x4s rust free for this model are very rare according to what I am told. I am going to the National F100 show in Knoxville,Tn. this week to see if I get any offers. Wish me luck! Also you are right the 78 Ranger is an F150 full size.

Mikes78
85

Update, went to the show, The judges and several people at the show told me to take no less than $14,000 and it could actually bring up to $20,000 considering it's condition and rarity. Oh yeah we won a class trophy at the show.

Connor Mundy
55

i buy it 400$

Jason Hensley
0

C-H-E-V-R-O-L-E-T Cracked Head, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks Every Time I dont like ford myself, but i thought you may want to hear this one.

1978oldyeller
0

I have an all original 1978 Ranger yellow and white 87,902 miles. Beyond excellent condition and i have been offered $30,000 for it and i won't let it go. It was bought brand new by my mother in law and i am the second owner. It has a 300 6cylinder two wheel drive. I have had it in the classic car shows here in southern Missouri, Northern Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky,and Oklahoma. I would say as modified as yours is, to the right collector such as i, the truck would bring around $3500 in this area just due to the fact it isn't original. And to those who are ignorant, in 1978, the Ranger was the full-size ford pickup, in 1981, ford began building the small ranger separate from the ranger F150, and i know because i was in the ford plant in St Louis building then during those years!!!

1978oldyeller
0

In 1978, The ranger was the full size ford! i worked at the Ford Plant in St Louis during the 60s-90's and beyond doubt, Fords last longer than anything on the road if maintained properly. We built more trucks during the seventies and early eighties than any other auto manufacurer and you still see more older fords on the road than any other make, just open your eyes and look around how many old chevys etc do you see?

robrob
85

ford has been the best selling truck in America for over 30 years explain that one i own a 1985 ford f150 300 straight 6 best truck ive ever owned

Mr_Big_Block
25

$5,500 easy

Shane Mertes
5

I get a kick out of the people that say i'm a Ford guy, or i'm a Chevy guy, and everything else sucks. I've owned them all, some good, some not so good. Currently i have a 1978 Ford F150, (worked 306, 4-speed, 2wd, restored), also a 1996 Chevy Tahoe, a 1971 chevy Monte Carlo (mostly restored), and a 1960 Sunbeam Alpine (needs restored), and i love them all. As far as the original question goes, the 4wd trucks seem to me to be more popular and get more, but i've seen trucks going from as low as $ 500 to as much as $ 22,500. The biggest problem is in 1978 they built so many trucks that none are really that rare. But that body style only lasted 2 years and to me is one of the best looking Ford trucks ever built (1956 F100 takes my # 1), your truck is only going to be worth what someone is willing to pay for it and if you find the right buyer you could make quite a bit.

MrBlueOval
2,975

It's value is only what someone will pay for it. If you find the right buyer, you might get $7500.00 to $8500.00 for it ,if it's as clean as you say it is. Go look on Ebay and see what comparable trucks are selling for, not what they are asking for them. Any of the 70's F-series shortbed trucks are collectable now a lot more so than the long beds. Everyone wants a shortbed. But the current gas prices are keeping their prices down from where they should be especially the 4wd trucks. I've got an original 1979 F-250 4X4 with only 39K original one owner(me) miles that I bought new in march of '79 and I won't sell it because I can't get what I know it's worth right now so I'm holding on to it for now.. The 1970's Ford trucks were the best selling and best looking Ford Trucks ever built. With the economy in the toilet, older truck prices are not where they should be right now. Kenny / MrBlueOval

Jons78
35

Its too bad it has a 351m in it. Those motors are not near as good as a "W" or a "C." But i would say around 5000 maybe 6000

78f100ranger
0

I have a 78 F100 Ranger shortbed stepside that is completely original, faded paint, mediocre interior, 340,000 miles on my 302 and 3 speed, no leaks, daily driver, been offered $4000 last year and turned it down.