whats wrong, pump wont shut off and keeps spraying fuel?

87s10stud
0

Asked by 87s10stud Feb 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM about the 1987 Chevrolet S-10

i recently parked my truck in my driveway and it slid down and hit a tree, i left it running however though, i went
three   miles to town and then i came back home and parked it. the next morning i went to go and start it for
work, and it rolled over, and started for not even 30 seconds, and then popped, like a back fire... and then
wouldnt start again. i put a new starter in it, plugged the battery in... didnt work. so i looked if the fuel pump was
working, it wasnt. so i replaced it. and now it just keeps running and doesnt shut off. whats wrong? truck still
wont start im just going to scrap it if i cant figure it out soon.

DavidH25

Won't shut off speaks volumes. The ignition switch in an '87 might be a plug in type, don't know for sure. If you can, change ignition switch, yeah you will have to have separate key for door, but the ignition switch should cut power and turn motor off. And as far as "spraying fuel" I am going to say what I always do when I see that. please please be careful of a fire

judge_roy

David. you are amazing. This question made me cringe, because to have own-ness to an incorrect answer can have disasterous results. once again, my friend you are on your mark!

DavidH25

That is why I didn't attempt to diagnose a fuel leak, only warning, a wrong answer on "spraying fuel all over" can kill somebody