66' Impala SS 327 won't start up normally.

66IMPALASS
0

Asked by 66IMPALASS Jul 09, 2013 at 12:16 AM about the 1966 Chevrolet Impala

I had some help on the 66 Imapla shortly after I inherited it and I could get it to start fine. But the last year or so I get nothing when I turn the key. I can start the car from the engine with a scrap of wire and it starts right up. After I drive it a few minutes and turn it off it will usually start right up when I turn the key.  Since it starts up after it's been driven a bit I tend to think it probably isn't an electrical problem. I have had a few shorts in other parts of the car in the past though. What do you guys think? Starter or Solenoid? (I had the core replaced when I first got the car)

judge_roy

The knock-off labels on the top of your battery will reveal it's age...five years old is time to replace that one~ get a New battery...clean the connection to the chassis/ground and the 1/0 cable as well...also the 1/0 cable to the motor block (should be near the alternator) with these connections made to pull 300 cold cranking amps should get you rollin' again~ should not need a new solenoid if GOOD power to ground and engine are there~

Gregory Girard
10

I had a problem like that! I could start the car by running a wire from the positive lead on the distributer to the positive side of the battery and jumping the solonoid on the starter. Turns out the wire to the ignition switch that powers the distributer was connected to a Rube Goldberg Accessory that dropperd the voltage to 4 VDC. Nothing worked from the switch!