were there any 1966 caprice convertibles made

tyree71
0

Asked by tyree71 May 20, 2015 at 10:43 AM about the 1966 Chevrolet Caprice

If so, how many?

Alex Petrovich
45

yes they made a caprice convertable but it was a concept, they never prodiced many.. i heard that they made 200... and they are very rare...the production numbers for all caprices in 1966 was 181,400

tyree71
0

you have been very helpful......thank you.

Rucko
2,745

there were quite a few thousand made in 66.

califcarson
6,965

No, This is what is found by the VIN numbers. Model Number Body/Style Number Body Type & Seating Factory Price Shipping Weight Total Production Caprice Series 66 - V8 66 39 4 dr Hardtop - 6P $3,063 3,675 lbs See Note: 66 47 2 dr Coupe - 6P $3,000 3,585 lbs 66 45 4 dr Station Wagon - 9P $3,347 4,020 lbs 66 35 4 dr Station Wagon - 6P

Brian Stewart
0

In 1965 gm intoduced the Caprice,avalible only in a 4 door hard top.then in 1966 they offered a two door hard top.They did not produce 1 convertible that was offered for sale to the public.A number of years ago I guy advertise one for sale,it was a 66 inpalia with alot of carpice parts,I must say it took me quit awhile inspecting the car to figure it out,The car was sold to a guy in Prince gorge B.C.For the guys that say they made a convertible model,you find one and I will pay big,big big dallors for it

califcarson
6,965

You jogged some old memory electrons. Canada had a Chevrolet manufacturing plant for GM cars made in Canada in the early 60s. There is a collector of older cars in BC that does have some early Chevrolet / GM vehicles. I think I remember he had one or a couple convertibles that were made in Canada for Canadians. Seems kinda like making refrigerators to sell to the Eskimos. The article was o long ago I don't remember who sent it to me or where I even saw ito. It was before F B though.

califcarson
6,965

I went on line and found Canada made Impala and Caprice convertibles. In the Heritage Center of GM History, I found an article: Chevrolet Full-sized Nameplates From the Early 1950s to Present Day: Here is a little insert. The Caprice nameplate remained in the lineup until 1973- when the Caprice became "Caprice Classic." Models included the coupe, the 4-door sedan, the 4-door hardtop, a convertible (Impala nameplate was used on all full-size convertibles from 1958 thrugh 1972) a Wagon, and an Estate Wagon. The Classic Nameplate remained on the Caprice through the 1985 model year. In 1986 the base "Caprice" nameplate replaced the Impala nameplate – and the uplevel Caprice became "Caprice Classic." The ultimate Caprice that year became the "Caprice Classic Brougham" – essentially putting Olds Delta 88 Brougham interior seats and door trim panels in a Caprice Classic. In the 1987 model year, yet another Caprice nameplate was added – "Caprice Classic LS Brougham" – which added a rear roof cap to the sedan body-style – giving the roofline an even more formal roofline with a landau vinyl top and "Opera Lamps" on the B-pillar. The Brougham and LS Brougham nameplates were retired after the 1990 model year. The Caprice Classic convertible was dropped at the end of the 1975 model year. Hope this helps you out. If Canada cars were shipped new to the US, the name plates / badges may have been changed. Lights were also different on some models. John

senator69
0

Hi, I recently saw what appears to be a 1966 Caprice Convertible in Lethbridge, AB. Canada. Here are the pictures of it. It is powered by a 283 with a 2 speed powerglide tranny . The current owner doesn't know a lot about the car; her husband (deceased) found it in Saskatchewan, Canada a few years ago. The interesting thing about it is that all of the emblems plus the 283 sign on the front fenders are all gold plated. The VIN # is 616467015818. This car was probably built in Canada. Any ideas?

senator69
0

I guess my pictures didn't go through. If anyone is interested in seeing all of the pictures I can probably email them.

califcarson
6,965

According what I had found years ago and again what I just found and put in above as an answer, yes it may be manufactured in Canada. I went on line and found 1966 Caprice cars for sale between $5,000 and $25,000. USD. Now the car is 49 years old, been in snow country and may have body cancer. (Salt rust and wet weather rust throughout. The car for $25,000 looked like it had a frame off restoration as it looked better than showroom condition. The one for $5k looked good, but nothing was said about the inside o or motor condition. None were convertibles, some were sedans, and some two door coupes. Depending on the body, interior, motor/transmission, and under rust condition, a convertible will bring more money if sold in late spring or summer. Selling it in winter would be like selling refrigerators to the Eskimos in the winter. Asking price? Canadian or USD?